Aeroplane Inspired Build

aidlook

So while i'm struggling with the finish on my telecaster deluxe I got inspired to start another build.

It will be a wood-core that will have a shell of polished aluminium. I'm gonna get some rivets to stick in there to go with the look.

These are some early renders of the body shape. The upper horns are supposed to resemble a wing from a WW2 fighter.

bomber.jpg

any input on the design?

and any ideas on what type of hardware would go with an aviation theme?

buttons? switches?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while i'm struggling with the finish on my telecaster deluxe I got inspired to start another build.

It will be a wood-core that will have a shell of polished aluminium. I'm gonna get some rivets to stick in there to go with the look.

These are some early renders of the body shape. The upper horns are supposed to resemble a wing from a WW2 fighter.

bomber.jpg

any input on the design?

and any ideas on what type of hardware would go with an aviation theme?

buttons? switches?

How about some big fighter-related symbols on top of the metal?

sub2_graphic.jpg

z7207.jpg

Maybe - something like this mouth

What do you think?

Edited by leeranya

I like the one on the top right... it seems the most "visually balanced" to my eyes.

Look here for some inspiration:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Co...ying-Tiger.html

Also, here:

http://www.musewiki.org/Bomber_Manson

If you can find some vintage-style radio knobs (with pointers and such) or maybe rig an "altimeter"-looking knob somewhere that would be cool too.

Perhaps a pushbutton killswitch with the top of a bolt affixed to the switch?

Also, if you're of a whammy bent, you can't go wrong with a wiggle stick for a real "divebomb!" :D

EDIT: black labb beat me to the "divebomb" crack :D...

Edited by TemjinStrife

I also like the top two designs best.....the middle left one kind of looks like the United States. If you are going to have the focus on the body with the metal and aerial art, I would recommend having the fingerboard fairly simple. Maybe have a polished aluminum headstock to match, with that 'mouth' design at the end of the headstock? Aged, rusted looking hardware might fit in with that theme too. Good luck with the project!

hehehe i ahve the same idea for a Telecaster, but i'm gonna paint it, since i carved the top of the guitar, theni thought that i was stupid and should have left the top flat and instead i could have just rivete some metal sheets on it, oh well, i'll paint it to look like a WW2 plane :D I love your designs man!! they look retro yet they are highly attractive!

You need to make the end of the headstock look like the front of one of those planes, you know how they sometimes have a little face type thing going on, with a red nose and like a profile view of the face. Haha, anyhow I'm looking forward to this project, sounds pretty dang cool. Gave me an idea to make realistic replicas of my Grandpa medals and inlay them into a guitar with the theme World Wars or something to that effect. Cool stuff though, keep us posted on progress for sure. BTW, my favorite shapes were the top two and bottom left. I think a mix between the bottom left and top right would be perfect. The bottom left is very cool, it just looks like the topside of the waist goes in too far. J

thanks for the input guys, I'll keep tweaking, especially the headstock (the one right now is the profile of a spitfire upside down).

I've also veen thinking of the aged hardware, so I'll definitely look into that.

I'm not a huge fan of the floyd's and I've already got one, but maybe another type of trem for the dive bombing...

aluminium

Damn right :D

Cool looking build! I'll be keenly following the progress on this one.

This sounds almost like this Manson that Matt Bellamy has:

180px-Bomber_Manson.jpg

...Rivets and chrome and whatnot. He styled it after a fighter/bomber/plane, I believe I once read.

cool look though. Can't wait to see the finished project.

(edit) fixed information

Edited by dude

This sounds almost like this Manson that Matt Bellamy has:

180px-Bomber_Manson.jpg

...Rivets and chrome and whatnot. He styled it after a fighter/bomber/plane, I believe I once read.

cool look though. Can't wait to see the finished project.

(edit) fixed information

It's a cool guitar...

It was chromed by sims, but it was rushed and the chrome came out so-so, so Manson airbrushed it a bit and added the rivets to get a faded look.

Thinking back a while ago I realized it was an article about Matt Bellamy's guitars that inspired me to start building guitars in the first place. It was only a couple of month's ago I actually found out that they where his though, since a friend of mine is a Muse fan.

Anyway, the guitar I'm building now is the result of me and a friend's brainstorming. At first it was supposed to be a metal body with a wooden neck, but after some discussion we landed on the aeroplane theme. One day after coming up with the ideas of the rivets etc I suddenly realized that I'd basically designed a manson replica:P

But then it's not really that, the only thing in common is probably a single cut shape and rivets.

I'm getting eager to start this build when I get the time.

Painted my tele deluxe black yesterday and will start clearing soon :D