Single Speed Fixed Base Router...

fyb

I have a crappy Black and Decker plunge router and I'm noticing a more wobble than I'd like so it's time to upgrade. I did like the variable speed and soft start features though. In my search for a new router, it seems alot of people like the Porter Cable 9690LR ( link ) if you believe web reviews :D The plus side too is I can pick this up at Home Depot where I work (unfortunately!) How would something like this be for guitar building? Will the single speed be an issue? The biggest bit I'll probably ever be using in a 1/2" or 5/8" radius roundover, but I'd like to use 1/2" shank template bits too. Also, how jerky will it feel w/out soft start? Is that too big of a deal do you think?

I know that router stuff has been covered alot but I can't quite find all my answers with the search. I appreciate the help folks!

Also, how jerky will it feel w/out soft start? Is that too big of a deal do you think?

Unless you are 3 years old (and I would congratulate you for having such great grammar skills for such a young age) you are strong enough to hold the router to where it wont jerk. Soft start is more along the lines for preventing power surges, and trust me they will happen when you've got an extractor and a router going without soft start on the same breaker. The porter cable one is great, but it does not have a variable speed setting. I'm not sure how handy that setting would be but I'd prefer to have options over not having options.

Honestly, I have nothing bad to say about the PC router other than not having soft start.

Get the variable speed. It's not a whole lot more, and it's a whole lot smoother. Hell, my 310 (production lam trim, also a porter cable product) is single speed, and kicks. The variable speed makes using bigger bits possible.

I'd also consider the Hitachi, but I've already got PCs, and they're really nice, solid workhorses. Haven't used my bosch plunge router since I got the PC690.

The PC is a great router. I have one and I would highly recommend it. (Though you might consider buying the kit with the plunge base for the few cases where that comes in handy.) The single speed business is not a problem at all. You aren't going to do anything in guitar building that will require you to have to slow down the router (as you would have to do with very large bits). Soft start is also more about marketing ploy than anything else (unless as mentioned your circuits are already overloaded, in which case you have other problems). PC fixed-base routers are small, light, solid, and build like tanks. You won't regret buying a PC. (You might want to pick up an extra base plate with a larger hole, however. The standard PC base plate, designed to accept the threaded guide bushings, is too small to hold a lot of round-over and similar bits.)

The PC is a great router. I have one and I would highly recommend it. (Though you might consider buying the kit with the plunge base for the few cases where that comes in handy.) The single speed business is not a problem at all. You aren't going to do anything in guitar building that will require you to have to slow down the router (as you would have to do with very large bits). Soft start is also more about marketing ploy than anything else (unless as mentioned your circuits are already overloaded, in which case you have other problems). PC fixed-base routers are small, light, solid, and build like tanks. You won't regret buying a PC. (You might want to pick up an extra base plate with a larger hole, however. The standard PC base plate, designed to accept the threaded guide bushings, is too small to hold a lot of round-over and similar bits.)

I agree with ryanb. Even though the PC's hole is small it is a standard size and should fit your bit requirements, measure it since you must have it on display. The plunge base is a real nice addition and was not available when I bought mine an older PC 690, I highly recommend getting it with the router for guitar work. I have never had a soft start router and the 3 year old quote sort of applies. More marketing than a real necessity. If the bits are too big for the standard hole, made for holding guides, after market bases are available with larger holes for cheap, or you can make your own from plexi.

The thing I like about the PC, it is the standard by which most accessories are based upon. If you buy something like an overarm router setup (grizzly), a router table, or a cnc machine (maybe being a bit over your head here) you will be assured the PC adapter will be included or available. Makes your life easier in the long run.

Yes there are more expensive and better routers out there but this router is a work horse. Unless you are using big honking bits VS is unnecessary and you can always buy a cheap VS adapter as an add on to reduce the speed. If using big bits was the reason for your purchase I would recommend a VS 3HP plunge router instead. Hitachi is a cool looking brand (pretty colors) but I would put it in the category of lower end pro tools but certainly above Ryobi, black and decker, skill and sears all brands I believe are for people who don't use tools or don't care about quality or longevity (my opinion so don't beat me up on that quote).

I always say if you don't use the tool all the time try looking for a reconditioned kit with the plunge base. Try amazon.com for reconditioned tools. If it beats your Home Depot discount. I hope Home Depot sells the full kit.

Hey and why does Home Depot always leave crap blocking the isles, cant they restock at night, LOL (I always wanted to complain), Good luck with the purchase.

Edited by Woodenspoke

I agree with ryanb. Even though the PC's hole is small it is a standard size and should fit your bit requirements, measure it since you must have it on display. The plunge base is a real nice addition and was not available when I bought mine an older PC 690, I highly recommend getting it with the router for guitar work. I have never had a soft start router and the 3 year old quote sort of applies. More marketing than a real necessity. If the bits are too big for the standard hole, made for holding guides, after market bases are available with larger holes for cheap, or you can make your own from plexi.

The thing I like about the PC, it is the standard by which most accessories are based upon. If you buy something like an overarm router setup (grizzly), a router table, or a cnc machine (maybe being a bit over your head here) you will be assured the PC adapter will be included or available. Makes your life easier in the long run.

Yes there are more expensive and better routers out there but this router is a work horse. Unless you are using big honking bits VS is unnecessary and you can always buy a cheap VS adapter as an add on to reduce the speed. If using big bits was the reason for your purchase I would recommend a VS 3HP plunge router instead. Hitachi is a cool looking brand (pretty colors) but I would put it in the category of lower end pro tools but certainly above Ryobi, black and decker, skill and sears all brands I believe are for people who don't use tools or don't care about quality or longevity (my opinion so don't beat me up on that quote).

I always say if you don't use the tool all the time try looking for a reconditioned kit with the plunge base. Try amazon.com for reconditioned tools. If it beats your Home Depot discount. I hope Home Depot sells the full kit.

Hey and why does Home Depot always leave crap blocking the isles, cant they restock at night, LOL (I always wanted to complain), Good luck with the purchase.

Just an FYI on routers. The standard for bushings is PC. Just thought that all should know. So If it says it handles bushings on the guide plate , check that it is standard. if so It's PC standards. If not don't buy it. :D

Just my .02 cents worth.

MK

Just my .02 cents worth.

MK

Hey no using my quotes get your own, LOL

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth of advice.

This router also looked kind of promising. What do you think? http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5615-20-4-...8035&sr=1-1

The thing that makes me a bit nervous with the Porter Cable is the location of the power switch seems to make it so you only have one hand holding the router as you turn it off and on. I'm used to a plunge router that had the power switch on the handle ( a great feature IMO!). Am I making too big of a deal about this...is the location of the power switch not that big of a deal on the PC?

Thanks guys! :D

One last thing .... how big of a bit is too big for a single speed router? The biggest I'd use in it would be 1/2" and 5/8" radius roundover bits and a 1" diameter core box bit. Thanks again!!

You won't have any problem with those bits on a single-speed router.

As for the switch, that really is up to you. I don't consider it a problem at all, but I can see how it might be intimidating, especially if you don't have a lot of router experience. If you don't feel safe with that design, you should pick something else. It is important that you choose tools that are comfortable for YOU to use, so that you will be able to operate them safely.

Another option to consider if you are looking for better control is the D-handle base from PC. That gives you a better handle and a power switch right at your fingertips. Several other companies have similar designs too. Trigger switches tend to appear on the lower-quality models (not always), but again, you need to find the design that is comfortable for you. Go find a good tool supplier and try out as many as you can. Good luck with your search.

I have a crappy Black and Decker plunge router and I'm noticing a more wobble than I'd like so it's time to upgrade. I did like the variable speed and soft start features though. In my search for a new router, it seems alot of people like the Porter Cable 9690LR ( link ) if you believe web reviews :D The plus side too is I can pick this up at Home Depot where I work (unfortunately!) How would something like this be for guitar building? Will the single speed be an issue? The biggest bit I'll probably ever be using in a 1/2" or 5/8" radius roundover, but I'd like to use 1/2" shank template bits too. Also, how jerky will it feel w/out soft start? Is that too big of a deal do you think?

I know that router stuff has been covered alot but I can't quite find all my answers with the search. I appreciate the help folks!

I have a Bosch 1613EVS plunge router with soft start and variable speed AND a Porter Cable 690LR (6902 motor) router with no extra features (no variable speed, no soft start)

I'm very happy with the PC. Its a real workhorse and soft start / Variable speed is not an issue, at least not for any of the woodworking projects I've done so far, including kitchen cabinets. I use the PC exclusively in a router table. I have never used it hand held. I use the PC 75% of the time compared to the Bosch.

I think that the Bosch is nicer for hand held work which is exactly what I use it for. I.e. door mortising, control cavities, pickup routes etc.

:D

Edited by guitar2005