Vintage Neck Tutorial Question

I have a simple question about that tutorial by Dave K. Was the tutorial written before Stewmac came out with an Amber Colortone stain? If mixing the three colors is noticeably better than just the amber stain, I may go for it, but maybe the Amber stain is just newer than the tutorial..... I just don't want to spend $50 when I could spend $16

I have a simple question about that tutorial by Dave K. Was the tutorial written before Stewmac came out with an Amber Colortone stain? If mixing the three colors is noticeably better than just the amber stain, I may go for it, but maybe the Amber stain is just newer than the tutorial..... I just don't want to spend $50 when I could spend $16

I just used some transtint amber and added a few drops of nutmeg to mine. I explained it in my topic about the Frankentele. Assumiong the color I got on my neck is what you are looking for?

link to topic

MK

It's quite obvious to me that the Dave K tut is a rip-off of pages 273 and 274 from Erlewine's book, which was written before they had the stains they currently have. If you're doing a whole neck, the single amber tint is probably good enough. But if you are trying to match an existing amber finish, you'll probably need to experiment with adding a little more brown or red.

Yeah, that looks perfect! I think I'll just mix it with water instead of shellac though.

While I understand your desire to use water as a vehicle for the dye I would suggest not. Maple has a tendency to blotch. Therefore the reason I use something that does not SOAK in, but lightly sets in the first part of the of the grain. Just my .02cents worth of working with maple. :D

Mike

OK, so you said you sprayed on the shellac, but would it be ok just to brush or rub it on? I don't have spraying equipment... and would it have any problems with a poly or nitro clear coat on top?

Yes you can apply with a cloth. JUst make sure that you use a DEWAXED shellac. cut to a 1/8lb to 1/4lb cut. YOU can then use denatured alchol to blend any spots that may not look right together. Allow the coats to dry throughly, Then you can use nitro or poly on it.

MK