Pickup Cavities

you just have to think of the face of your guitar as the pickup rings, and the cover on the back as the usaul bottom of a routed area.

like humbucker screws would drop into the holes thru the front, but your cover on the back would have to have a bulky piece so you could screw into with the springs for height adjustment; sorry, im confusing myself :D

What do you want to use? There are a few after-market solutions for folks who want a traditional humbucker sound but don't want to route their guitars that originally came with p-90s ; no pickup rings there, and no rear-routing, and no unsightly routes to acommidate the "ears" of the pickup. I saw a Dimarzio super distortion in a P-90 size at the music shop the other day - I think the look is kind of classy.

Another option would be to get into winding your own pickups. I've also though about making some sort of cover and having it plated, so the cover and "ring" become one integral piece - from the outside I guess it would look something like the old Gibson SG bass pickups.

If you're going with a humbucker-sized thing, you can rout a ledge underneath the edge of the pickup rout in the top of the instrument...tricky, and you need the right bearing-guided router bit, but it's possible.

If you're going with Strat-like single coils, then you're much more limited and you might not be able to do it that way. It could be done by routing a larger channel into your body first, then gluing your top on over that, but since you have no separate top.....

Well, I think that I have no explain my question very well.

I want to know if there is a way to install the pickups without

mounting rings. In my last project I did this set up:

p1010122.jpg

I could do it because it was a top glued onto the body:

The body:

p1000797.jpg

and the backside of the top:

p1000796.jpg

For this project I'm doing a neck-thru guitar with a one-piece body and the previous setup is

not possible. I don't like to route in the backside of the body and I was wondering if there is

some way to avoid the mounting rings, routing the pickup ears and the rest of the cavity

to put the screws and springs the more hidden as possible.

Any idea is welcome :D

Well, I think that I have no explain my question very well.

I want to know if there is a way to install the pickups without

mounting rings. In my last project I did this set up:

>>>>>snip<<<

Hollow body with access from the control cavity. Or Hollow body and use the pickup holels for acces, just remember to glue your pickup height screws to the ears first.

MK

Edited by MiKro

just remember to glue your pickup height screws to the ears first.

I beleive you meant pickup height springs?

Erikbojerik already mentioned it. If you don't want to route out around the pickup ears for the height adjustment screws, you need to use the right bearing router bit to undercut the sides of the pickup route to accomodate the ears. Of course, the pickup route still needs to be large enough to insert/remove the pickup through the hole. It's the same thing you did on the guitar in your picture, you are just doing it from the top instead.

just remember to glue your pickup height screws to the ears first.

I beleive you meant pickup height springs?

Yes you are correct :D I guess I need to reread my posts :D)))))) I don't know but maybe my idea will catch on LMAO!!!! Let's see can you say acoustic!!! as the pickups are useless with glued screws LOL B) A definite case of cranial methane on my part :D

Thanks M for the catch.

mk

Edited by MiKro

If you're going with a humbucker-sized thing, you can rout a ledge underneath the edge of the pickup rout in the top of the instrument...tricky, and you need the right bearing-guided router bit, but it's possible.

Ohh, thanks ryanb! Now I've understand the Erikbojerik idea!! I think I'll try it!

I will be doing this in the future - using a 6mm shank routing bit with a large diameter cutter and running the shank along the rectangular route for the humbucker, basically erikbojerik's idea.

Hmmm.... I also want to install pickups without mounting rings, fender style. I'm building a strat, and I want to have pickups like the Tele Deluxe:

2004.07.Telcaster.Deluxe.pickups.jpg

I'm using nickel-covered seymour duncans. Does anyone know how they can be installed this way? It looks like they're attached to the pickguard, but without mounting rings. I don't care about (and don't understand) the double screws on the tele, seems like there should only be one on each side. Some tele deluxes have only one, and for my strat I don't care either way.

Edited by HerrHerron