Locust As Tonewood?

I have a couple of big locust logs lying around my back yard from a tree that fell over last year. They're fairly dry, and are perfect candidates for quartersawing into a neck, or neck laminates. Has anyone ever used locust as a tonewood before? Would it even work? Thanks.

Alright, I cut a test blank to see what the locust looks like. Its really cool looking, I dont know how it would hold up as a neck though. The blank I cleaned up was too small for a real neck, so I cut a much bigger one, that im letting dry at the moment. O, and I just acquired a nice cherry log from my local baseball field that's been sitting there for a while. I'm hoping I can get a blank for a carved top out of it.

What kind of locust? The two main varieties are black locust ( also called yellow locust ) and honeylocust. Honeylocust is the one with the insane clusters of thorns. Black locust is incredibly strong, very hard, and has a wonderful sound when struck. Greenish yellow in color. Honeylocust is not quite as strong and hard, and pinkish in color. Both are quite stable if you find a good, straight grained piece, but look out for ring shake, especially if the log has been sitting for a while.

What kind of locust? The two main varieties are black locust ( also called yellow locust ) and honeylocust. Honeylocust is the one with the insane clusters of thorns. Black locust is incredibly strong, very hard, and has a wonderful sound when struck. Greenish yellow in color. Honeylocust is not quite as strong and hard, and pinkish in color. Both are quite stable if you find a good, straight grained piece, but look out for ring shake, especially if the log has been sitting for a while.

It's black locust. I've got a big stand of them in my yard, and two fell over about 2 years ago. I cut them into 8 foot sections last year. It's great to hear that it'll work in my project, as I do have a nice, straight grained piece. The wierdest thing about it is the smell though. I swear, it smells like barbeque, its really wierd.