Rosette And Headstock Inlay

I have been working on a guitar for my mother. The design has been a bit tuff for me (floral theme), and I am not really an inlay guy. However after grilling Chris V. many times, and a bunch of try this and try that till I get the look I am after. I think I am getting close. I am not real good at this stuff, but it has been fun getting back into it a little more.

The Rosette

DSCF0091.jpg

The Rosette, with headstock inlay(top), and some test runs.

link

While cutting

link

Peace,Rich

Oh wow, very nice work! I swear there is not enough time in the day to study every aspect of building guitars. After finally doing some of my first extremely simple positions markers, I must say that complex inlays like yours amaze me even more, I couldn't believe how difficult it was to get tight fits. The really impressive part is the color of the wood, I can't imagine inlaying on something that light. I really can't wait to see that guitar all finished, its going to be amazing.

Great stuff Rich, very impressive for someone who doesn't fancy themselves a skilled inlayer. Man, I bet some hours went into those inlays huh? Any idea on time frame for just cutting. I know that had to take a while. Heck, all I did today was cut out a small v block inlay and install it and it took me forever, though it was more of a repair. Keep the progress pictures coming on that guitar, I can't wait to see it. Best of luck. J

Jon,

Those lines are pencil. I mark where I have to scribe, which has to be done a little later.

Jason,

I am not sure how long it really took (in terms of hours spent working). I started working on this concept about 8 to 9 months ago, All total I would imagine it is a day and a half to two days worth of actual work for the rosette. I had to draw and redraw the headstock and design 3 times as well as cut the headstock inlay three times before I got what I wanted. I would like this one to turn out really well because it is for my mother.

Chris,

Your the only guy I asked for advise on inlay my friend. Straight to the best you know :D .

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

Mattia,

Believe me I was begging for a nice hunk of Ebony half way through inlaying that soundboard. Spruce has a lovely way of getting all furry as you route it. I actually had to cut the inlay in with an exacto knife (full depth) and chip with a chisel, I couldn't even see the lines as soon as I got within about 1/8" from the outer edge of the pattern.

Setch,

Thanks for the nice comments, I really struggle with material selection (as you can see I had to cut a few roses before I found a material that looked good to me). I wish the my camera could capture the look a little more accurately, it looks much slicker in person.

Well I better get on the ball and brace it so I can close the box this sometime this year.

Peace,Rich