Any Dangers To Working With Inlays?

From what I've read, although the dust isn't toxic, it tends to be made of extremely small particles that have sharp edges.

There's some safety info here. Another relevant link here.

[Edit: In case you don't follow the link... The dust is very bad for your lungs, so make sure you don't breathe it.]

Edited by Rick500

I was once told that working with Abalone and other materials produces hazardous dust. Is this true? How is the best way to deal with this?

Honestly i dont know if its hazzardous but i can tell you something i noticed,on my fretboard inlay i used a dremel tool with thin speed disks to cut pearl into small pieces,this way of cut produces a very thin white dust that made me for 3 days to breathe hardly i felt that i was chocking or something like that...

And i didnt do that job for more than 15 mins.I dont know if it will have the same affect on you but dont take the risk,wear the mask.

Also if you dicide to cut pearl the same way as i did be sure to wear eye protection beacause tiny sharp pieces fly and sometimes reach your eyes,and clean the surface you are working on all the time because those small pieces that dont fly to your eyes stay down and as you work with your hands above them the sink in to your elbows or arms and thats hell when youre trying to work.

Cheers

Edited by Nicko_Lps

I was once told that working with Abalone and other materials produces hazardous dust. Is this true? How is the best way to deal with this?

Honestly i dont know if its hazzardous but i can tell you something i noticed,on my fretboard inlay i used a dremel tool with thin speed disks to cut pearl into small pieces,this way of cut produces a very thin white dust that made me for 3 days to breathe hardly i felt that i was chocking or something like that...

And i didnt do that job for more than 15 mins.I dont know if it will have the same affect on you but dont take the risk,wear the mask.

Also if you dicide to cut pearl the same way as i did be sure to wear eye protection beacause tiny sharp pieces fly and sometimes reach your eyes,and clean the surface you are working on all the time because those small pieces that dont fly to your eyes stay down and as you work with your hands above them the sink in to your elbows or arms and thats hell when youre trying to work.

Cheers

If you want to use a power tool to cut, use water to control dust (it is better for the material, blade and controls dust). A jewlers saw is really quite fast for most inlay, but if you are cutting a lot of straight strips sometimes a power tools is the sensable option.

Peace,Rich