Installing Proline Metal Knobs On My Guitar, Havin Trouble

hey im new here, so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, if so could you correct me please. thanks.

so i purchased proline guitar knobs and everything i use the wrench to tighten the knobs on, (with the little screw on the side) they go crooked and look like crap, is this just something i have to live with or is there a proper way to install them that i just didn't know about?

The hole in the knob may be larger than the pot shaft. Perhaps you need a sleeve in the knobs.

You may have crimped the shafts on your pots together. Take the knobs off and look at the shafts. Is there an even gap between the two halves from bottom to top? If the top is pushed together and the bottom has a space, then this is why the knobs are tilted. You likely won't be able to pull the two halves apart without breaking them off the shaft. Your best bet would be to replace the pots (if this is the problem) and put a piece of metal between the two halves so they can't be crimped together again.

peace,

russ

The set screw has to go between the slot in the shaft. This pushes the two halves apart and keeps the knob straight on the shaft.

Split shaft knobs aren't really designed to use with a set screw knob. They should generally be used with solid shaft knobs but making sure the set screw goes between the split in the shaft will be your best bet for keeping the knob straight.

When I'm forced to use a set-screw knob on a split shaft, rather than solid shaft pot (for instance, I've yet to find a solid shaft "blend" pot, but my regular tone and volume are solid and I'm trying to match the knobs across the set) I insert a shim between the split shaft - I usually use a piece of metal, but even bits of guitar picks work out well. Of course, this works better if you haven't already smooshed the two pieces of the split shaft together. I find I get much better results with this method than trying to put the set screw on the side where the shaft splits.

In a couple of instances, I where I have broken off one of the halves of a split shaft, i've replaced the set screw on the knob with a longer machine screw of the same threading I happened to have in my parts drawer - this allowed me to tighten the scew against the flat side of the remaining shaft. It was only meant to be a temp. replacement, but it's held up fine for quite some time now - although the knob is a bit "off center" feeling as you turn it.