Hey Dudes, Need Help Restoring Guitar Neck

Hey guys, I have an Ibanez something, got it off a friend for free after he pretty much demolished it. Now im in the middle of restoring it, I have sanded the body and started to spray the pick guard, looks good so far, although I need some help on restoring the neck.

Its got a few scratches and dents here and there, nothing too extreme, but pretty ****ed up. How can I go about making it look decent once again, getting the dents out and such... Im a little scared about sanding the neck, which is why Im asking.

Thanks guys, hopefully someone can help me out, i've been searching the net like crazy for an answer to this.

Considering that Ibanez necks are not very thick (19mm the wizard) try to not sand it, because you're going to reach to the truss rod.

To take out the dents that are on the wood, try to put some water there and with an iron heat the wood, that will make the wood to expand.

and some places that are big dents try withe the same method and if you see that you can't solve it that way, use some wood dust + epoxy, that will fix it. Then sand it and it will look very good.

Frank.

Definately use the Epoxy method. It will fill the holes and dents and you can sand it flat rather than take anything off the neck itself. I once fixed a body using this method that someone had stabbed multiple times with a screwdriver! OK, so the repair *LOOKS* obvious but you cant feel it under your fingers, and he was happy.

Got any pics?

Edited by Digideus

What are the plans for the neck? A natural finish, or a solid colour? How is it now?

I'm assuming it has a finish on it now - steaming out dents doesn't really work on wood that's already been finished; In my experience it really only seems to screw with the surrounding finish.

steaming out dents doesn't really work on wood that's already been finished; In my experience it really only seems to screw with the surrounding finish.

It will work fine if the heat is not direct. Use a small wet paper towel and apply heat, just don't let the paper towel dry up.