A Few Tool Questions

Inisheer

Hello, I am trying to decide what tools to add to my workshop next and would like some advice. So far I have a router, bandsaw, miter saw, drill press, angle grinder, a small belt sander, and numerous hand tools. Would I get any use out of a scroll saw, or is that not much good for building guitars? Also, what about a router table? I know a lot of people here use router tables, but are they necessary for anything? I have seen them used for routing the channel for the truss rod, but I can do that fine without the router table. Any recommendations for other types of tools that I would need?

First off HAPPY B-DAY my friend!!! :D:D

As for tools there are so many that can help in many different ways. I am constantly reevluating what I should buy next as per what I need most. A scroll saw always seems like a handy tool, however I might be tempted to get a nice jigsaw, I find myself using a jigsaw quite often, even with my bandsaw handy. I don't have a ton of money right now, but I just had to get a new jigsaw as I burnt out my old one and I bought a hitachi jigsaw and that thing is great, not bad for a mid-level jigsaw. I was surpised at the prices of the higher end jigsaws that I looked at, for some reason I always expected $40-$70 or so and the nice ones were $100 more than that. I would also love to get a nice router table, I don't know how much I would use it, but I expect it would get plenty of use. There are many instances where I would love a router table. The other two major tools I would look at as well are planers and jointers, both can be very useful in building. Well, those are just some ideas off the top of my head it'll depend on what you have to spend and what you will need the most, best of luck in shopping and happy bday. J

I use my router table all the time. Don't have a scroll saw (although I probably will get one eventually). So of the two, I'd recommend the router table...although you could build one yourself without too much trouble.

I have this one. It's been very handy, probably could have gotten away with a cheaper one though.

I guess if I was going to buy another tool, the next one would be an oscillating spindle sander. I like the Ridgid model.

[Edit: Oh, if you don't have a planer... that's probably the next one I'd get if I were you. Of course, you can get away with a router for doing a lot of what a planer does.]

Edited by Rick500

Thanks Jason! :D For my birthday my family wanted to get me some tools, but they don't really know what kind of tools I would use. They ended up getting me a scroll saw (worth about $180). Since they weren't sure if I'd use it, they said I could take it back and exchange it for something else if I prefer. It looks pretty nice, I'm just not sure I'd get too much use out of it. I've seen people use scroll saws to make matching wood covers for the back of the guitar, but they don't seem to be used for much else. Rick, what all do you use your router table for? I may consider getting one, if I can think of good uses for it. Also, one of those Safe-T-Planer things for the drill press might be a nice addition....any thoughts? Thanks for the comments.