Detroit guitar show & McNaught Guitars

DaveK

Just thought you would lik to know...This weekend was the Detroit Guitar show hosted by Gordy's music.

Other than some PHENOMINAL local Bass Luthiers..I thought the show was uneventful & a waste of money.

UNTIL I SAW A FULL BOTH OF MCNAUGHT GUITARS!!!

I have NEVER seen beter quilted finishes in my life!

The dyeing technique, the color, the tone were all flawless!

If you ever have a chance to check one out, do so!

However, I almost dropped when I saw that the pricetag of my favorite one was $10,000!!!!

If anyone knows where this guy get's his dyes, please let me know!

Dave K

Do you honestly think that Ed Roman will share McNaught's finishing secrets?

I have talked to Roman a couple of times & I have found him to be..........let's just say "less than helpful"

If you have a good relationship wiht him & think that he would share this info, let me know

Dave K

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Ed tends to be alittle short on the phone, but remember he runs a busy shop and store in vegas, and a shop in conneticut. Scott is very helpful, and so is Alan, when you can talk to him. Email is Scott@edromanguitars.com & Alan@edromanguitars.com. Bear in mind they are busy too, so they might have to be short. Scott and I have had a few PRS covs. For instance, I brought to his attention to compare a Hamer Sunburst Archtop and a PRS Santana III. Direct copy. PRS tried to copyright a Hamer design. ***? Um...finishes, right?

Damn, sure is a lotta playa-hatin' aimed at Ol' Ed these days. While I agree he can be an opinionated asshole, he's been really civil to me in the several phone conversations I've had with him, and he's damn sure done right by McNaught, hyping him to the hilt! Call him, he can't infect you over the phone, and you're bound to learn something (even if it's only that calling him is a waste of time). Or call McNaught ((704) 888-3363) - he might tell you. :D I'm sure he's using metal acid dyes, but who makes 'em is anybody's guess. I'm also convinced that part of the magic is the way he matches colors/shades with the figure in his tops. Nobody, not even Terry McInturff, does it better!

Well, I just got off the phone with Mr. McNaught himself!

He was a SUPER cool guy!

What he told me & swears this to be true...is that he is using the same water based dyes that you get from Stu Mac or LMI

The trick is that the dyes & sands down at least 4 times for each guitar

He says that it is extremely labour intensive & he gets call all the time from other guitar companies asking the same thing.

I believe him!

He was very helpfull & told me "it all starts with a great piece of wood & a lot of patience"

Dave

DaveK,

I actually went to the same guitar show, I agree that it was pretty uneventful. I did, however, get a good trade with a guy from Ray's music. He took a modified strat-copy I had and gave me a Danelectro Mod 7 (a very awesome, underrated guitar). The McNaught guitars were really cool, even though I have to say I liked the custom basses a lot more (they had a 6-string made from goncalo alves, I think, that I couldn't take my eyes off). Other than that, it was pretty dull. It seemed like most of the guys there wouldn't touch anything that wasn't "vintage". I'm not really into the whole vintage thing, so I didn't feel the show was "for me".

By the way, whereabouts in Detroit are you located, DaveK?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
Damn, sure is a lotta playa-hatin' aimed at Ol' Ed these days. While I agree he can be an opinionated asshole, he's been really civil to me in the several phone conversations I've had with him, and he's damn sure done right by McNaught, hyping him to the hilt! Call him, he can't infect you over the phone, and you're bound to learn something (even if it's only that calling him is a waste of time).
I assure you it wont be.

Yes he's opinionated. Should this hurt? Personally, he has some strong opinions...I smoke, he is VERY anti smoking. Does this affect anything? yes. I dont even bring it up. We agree to disagree. As for his credibility, until you can tell me how it has faults, shut up and dont try to ruin a friend of mine's business.

PS Thx Lovekraft for also saying the above

I always post in Ed's favor.

I bought some stuff from him a few years ago, and talked to him on the phone a few times, it was no different than any other normal, regular guitar-related transaction I've done with any other business, he's fine in my book, and has one of the nicest websites out there.

Y'know, I don't know Ed Roman. I've never dealt with him personally and I seriously doubt that I ever will for several reasons. Not the least of which are the negative experiences that several people I know and trust have had with him. Also some of the statements he's made on his website give me the same feeling as that car salesman who tried to sell me two different "Certified" BMW 7 series, one with a broken steering wheel and the other with a broken trunk and stereo (specifically I'm thinking about how he LOVED Ibanez guitars then, when his contract got cancelled he not only started talking badly about them, but *ALL* Japanese guitars. There are other things, but the xenophobic statements have always struck me as asinine).

Look, Ed might be the sweetest most kindest mostest honestest businessman ever to crawl from the womb, but that's not only not his reputation, but that's not the impression he gives a good number of people who've attempted to deal with him. If you want people to stop speaking badly of Ed it might be good to get Ed to stop giving them reason to.

Wow!

How did my thread on Mcnaught Guitar finishes & the Detroit Guitar show turn into "the Ed Roman show"

My only interaction with hte guy was that he was somewhat opinionated & wanted to charge HIGH prices...but as I think about it, I am opinionated & I like making money as well

Does that make me an A**hole?:D

Now, can I have my thread back? :DB):D

As for his credibility, until you can tell me how it has faults, shut up and dont try to ruin a friend of mine's business.

oh, gimme a break... just because someone on an internet forum doesn't like the guy, he's ruining a business????

Look what you did! You almost ruined Taco Bell!!!!!! :D