What Do You Think Of This Wood Combination?

Those are not common woods for instruments, so I think it will not be easy to find someone who used.

NECK: Amazonas Ironwood (Hymenaea Coubaril) (in portuguese: JATOBA) 2nd option Brazilian maple ( Micropholis Gardner.) (in portuguese Grumixava)

Fingerboard: 1st option Brazilian Rosewood, 2nd Ebony

Body: 1st Aspidosperma polyneuron (in portuguse: peroba-rosa) 2nd mahogany.

I can buy brazilwood (also called pernambuco wood), what can I do with it?

I'm searching more about Amazonas Ironwood, peroba, and brazilian maple the other are commom

Sorry by my poor english, I'm from brazil.

Edited by EdGratis

one weighs less than the other - it really depends on the chambering. for example - drill random holes in the body and it will reduce weight but not change the tone too much. do large chambers that fill the guitar and the tone will be affected more

I have used Jatoba in the neck on my current build (not the whole neck but laminated with birch). It is a very hard wood which made shaping the neck more challenging, but I don't think it is harder that Rosewood and that has been used for necks by quite a few people, PRS even uses it on some of their models.

I have been kicking around the idea of using Jatoba for a chambered body, I am still researching this. I have read comments people have made regarding using Maple (which is also quite hard) for a body and they seem to indicate that the tone would be "brighter" than a more traditional tonewood such as Mahogany. As I said I am still researching this.

I agree with WezV though, if you can get go with it!

Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it!

STV.

Edited by nerosrevenge

So probably it will Jatoba Neck, Mahogany or Peroba body, brazilian rosewood fretboard and brazilwood top.

Have you ever see goncalo alves necks?

It will be done in a luthier course, obsviouly you will see pics!

edit: I'm very close to this store: http://www.follmann-tonewoods.com/script/home.html

Please enter in the site, click in "Download our Price List" and check her woods and recommend what woods to go with.

Edited by EdGratis

So probably it will Jatoba Neck, Mahogany or Peroba body, brazilian rosewood fretboard and brazilwood top.

Have you ever see goncalo alves necks?

It will be done in a luthier course, obsviouly you will see pics!

edit: I'm very close to this store: http://www.follmann-tonewoods.com/script/home.html

Please enter in the site, click in "Download our Price List" and check her woods and recommend what woods to go with.

there are many options on the brazilian market for local woods that will make great sounding guitars, if a luthier will build the guitar for you, I think he is the best person to answer your questions, I know a lot of suppliers here in brazil that sell woods for guitars. But I think that if you're building a solid body, you can get much cheaper wood, in some regular woodshops, instead of buying instrument grade wood.

go to your local lumbershop, they should have lots of options that would be fine for a solidbody.

freijo is great for bodies. mahogany is great for almost everything, but it's hard to find sometimes.

cedro can also be used for bodies, and caixeta too.

and for the fingerboard you can use ipe, a wood that looks very good, and it is so cheap.

the neck can be done in cedro, imbuia, mahogany, jatoba and some people are using pau marfim with good results.

as you can see, many options to choose from, and again it's always nice to try alternative tonewoods that are cheaper and may sound as good as the tradicional choices.

As I said before, it will be done in a luthier course, by me.

Next week I will look for some woods, with follmann I can get really old and dried tonewoods, compared to the hardware it's really affordable.

I guess you're like some other people on this forum, that asks questions and opinions and then totally ignores the answers of other forum members. I don't think this is the place for you my friend.

Please don't think it my friend, I only want opnions about the sound of that woods. I know the woods that you said, I don't lke the sound of caixeta and the others are ok.

I will not ignore these opnions, next week I will search exactly what you told me.

Why did you think it? I'm so sad with it =/

Hey Hector, where'd your last post come from??? He is going to be putting in a lot of time building a guitar and wanted to get a few opinions on the wood choices he's considering. It's possible that for him, that compared to the time he's going to invest, the cost of the wood is trivial. If follmann is too pricey, he hasn't lost the option of looking elsewhere.

Ed,

Jatoba is nice looking and strong, but it's very hard. That might make it difficult for you to keep up the others during neck shaping if you work as a group during the course.

I'd also be concerned if you used a solid piece and not a laminate, that it will move/twist, and lastly that the guitar will be neck heavy. If you have some nice straight grained piece, maybe movement will be less of an issue, but I'd still be concerned. I'm using it as a laminate in a neck right now, but I wouldn't want to use it alone.

Just my personal opinion. Good luck.

Todd

I don't think this is the place for you my friend.

I have a problem with that statement. Its hardly constructive, and typical of the types of unfriendly help many newbies have gotten over the years on this forum. This isnt a place to lord experience over new-commers simply because they dont know.

The truth is there are NO hard rules on how to make a guitar or what wood to use, and 9 times out of 10, make one out of anything, and its going to sound better than 99% of what you can buy for an equivelent cost price.

If no-one listens to the opinions of others, thats fine. Let them make whatever mistakes they make. it will either teach them to error of their ways or turn them off the hobby. Either way, it doesnt hurt to offer a helping hand.

What I found about density:

Jatoba is 890kg/m³

mahogany is 630kg/m3.

Jatoba will be really too heavy in the neck or only a little heavier than normal?

I can find straight grained.

What's the sound like? You used it with what wood?

In the course we have some teacher in the classroom that can help we, no mather what's the speed. If we do it faster, we only have to pay less tuition.

I'm happy that you understood me.

Edited by EdGratis

I will not ignore these opnions, next week I will search exactly what you told me.

In that case I'm sorry. I might have been too harsh on you, it just seemed that none of what I said was listened.

If I would suggest one wood combination would be freijo for the body and grumixava for the neck, and some humbuckers.

that would sound pretty good. or even an all mahogany guitar, there's no way to get it wrong.

Those are not common woods for instruments, so I think it will not be easy to find someone who used.

NECK: Amazonas Ironwood (Hymenaea Coubaril) (in portuguese: JATOBA) 2nd option Brazilian maple ( Micropholis Gardner.) (in portuguese Grumixava)

Fingerboard: 1st option Brazilian Rosewood, 2nd Ebony

Body: 1st Aspidosperma polyneuron (in portuguse: peroba-rosa) 2nd mahogany.

I can buy brazilwood (also called pernambuco wood), what can I do with it?

I'm searching more about Amazonas Ironwood, peroba, and brazilian maple the other are commom

Sorry by my poor english, I'm from brazil.

Neck woods, Your leaning to very heavy, hard, stiff woods. Both Jatoba and Pau Marfin are heavier than hard Maple. This may be what you are after, but I would point out you are going to an extream end of the spectrum (unless this is maybe a bass).

Fingerboard, Both are commonly used. Hard to go wrong.

Body, Peroba-rosa is a hefty wood compaired to Mahogany. Seems kinda like you have a wide range, and might be worth thinking over what you want in the woods properties. Peroba-rosa is a bit heavier than hard maple if I remember correctly.

It's good to see that now everything is ok!

Freijo is more bass or more treble? I'm thinking about putting Seymour Jazz model in neck and seymour JB in bridge, both are so treble, so I want a wood that sounds close to mahogany.

So in the neck, it will be possible pau marfim or grumixava. I heard a loooootttt of instruments with pau marfim, but any with grumixava. If grumixava is more bassful thant pau marfim, it will be probably the choice