Strat Neck On A Tele Body?

Ok, I was stupid and didn't think about the problems with doing this,,, I recently bought this Tele Body off ebay and then turned around and bought this neck off ebay from another seller......................................... the neck fits great as far as width BUT the heel is rounded on the neck while the neck pocket is more or less squared off to receive a Tele neck heel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you can't really it see much because of the overhang of the fretboard being longer since it;s a 22 fret neck BUT I don't like it,,,, is there ANYTHING I can do to make this better? I have a mighty mite 21 fret Tele that fits this body great BUT it's going on another build and I really wanted to use this neck on this body because of how the woods look with each other....

7186_3.jpg

d0b2_3.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/tkc58/75c8_3.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/tkc58/c92d_3.jpg

Since some (not all) of the overhang at the end of the fingerboard will need to be trimmed off so I can fit a trim ring for the neck humbucker, I've thought about just living with it,,,,,,,, with some of the fingerboard overhang still being there you don't really see this "misfit" but you can see it if you're looking for it,,,,,,,,,,, and of course I know the if the neck fit nice and tight at ALL points it would be more stable and sustain better so I'd love to "fix" this if at all possible,,,,,,,,,, from my understanding, if I took enough wood out of the neck pocket to make the neck fit it then I'd need to move the bridge that same amount BUT the holes for the strings are already drilled so that would create a problem,,,,,, so again,,,, Any ideas guys? Any at all?

I was just reading this on the warmoth site

"Strat® necks will fit into a Tele® pocket and intonate correctly. Gaps will however be apparent at the corners"

sorry, I don't think there's something you can do.

and I don't think that you should do something. just put them together and play it!

from my understanding, if I took enough wood out of the neck pocket to make the neck fit it then I'd need to move the bridge that same amount BUT the holes for the strings are already drilled so that would create a problem,,,,,, so again,,,, Any ideas guys? Any at all?

My idea would be to just leave it alone.

removing wood to make the neck fit will be to much trouble, for nothing. and I mean A LOT of trouble. everything would have to be moved.

It's just not worth it.

i'd say, NEVERmind the gap. unlike the tube in london.

Since some (not all) of the overhang at the end of the fingerboard will need to be trimmed off so I can fit a trim ring for the neck humbucker, I've thought about just living with it,,,,,,,, with some of the fingerboard overhang still being there you don't really see this "misfit" but you can see it if you're looking for it,,,,,,,,,,, and of course I know the if the neck fit nice and tight at ALL points it would be more stable and sustain better so I'd love to "fix" this if at all possible,,,,,,,,,, from my understanding, if I took enough wood out of the neck pocket to make the neck fit it then I'd need to move the bridge that same amount BUT the holes for the strings are already drilled so that would create a problem,,,,,, so again,,,, Any ideas guys? Any at all?

Slick wood. You could fill the gaps almost to the top with Builder's Bog, it sets fast and forms only a light bond to wood so if you want to get it out again it's easy to remove. Cut two pieces of veneer to finish off the fill and glue them to the builder's bog. Sand flush. I would be tempted to cut the neck pick up ring to accommodate the neck overhang rather than the other way around. That way everything is reversible. :D

Edited by Muzz

Thanks for the replies guys,,, I'm just sick over this, I just know that these woods in this body and neck would have looked fantastic,, and I'm sure it would play fine BUT I think I may be a tad too "a n a l" about things fitting correctly to endure this marriage............. I may stick them together and see BUT at this point I guess I'm thinking of buying a Strat body for this neck and buying a Tele neck for this body,,,,,,,,, :D crap, CRAP, CRAP!

Edited by tkcrabby

Thanks for the replies guys,,, I'm just sick over this, I just know that these woods in this body and neck would have looked fantastic,, and I'm sure it would play fine BUT I think I may be a tad too **** about things fitting correctly to endure this marriage............. I may stick them together and see BUT at this point I guess I'm thinking of buying a Strat body for this neck and buying a Tele neck for this body,,,,,,,,, :D crap, CRAP, CRAP!

Don't give up. If you're really committed to this combination, then stick with it.

To me, the best and easiest option would be to glue a piece of matching wood into the neck pocket (just at the back section), then reroute it for the strat contour--that's probably the best, since it doesn't change anything about the intonation--when you're done, you'll simply have added rounded corners to the pocket. With the right piece of wood and a little bit off stain, it will end up being pretty near invisible.

You don't necessarily have to route the neck pocket itself, of course, if that makes you nervous. With a little time and effort, you can easily shape the 'missing' corners by hand, then glue them in.

If you don't have the scrap and want to match the existing body wood, give a shout out here, I'm sure there a plenty of people here with scrap wood who will help you out. Really, as long as you use the same wood, and get the grain going in the same direction, it will become very difficult to see once it's glued in and stained.

I agree, I would modify the humbucker ring before touching anything on the fretboard. But you shouldn't have to anyway, the guitar was meant to have humbuckers and (mostly likely) an overhang.

Oh yeah, if you want to write a n a l you have to write it like that. For some reason this board has a problem with this part of the anatomy. :D

Mickguard,

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement,,,,, I may try something like that ,,,,,,,,, The body is Ash and the top is Paduak, I have no source for either. I would have to shape each piece by hand as I don't have any sort of jig to do a neck pocket no have I EVER done a route of any kind on a guitar and I'd hate to make this my first and in turn ,,,, screw it up,,, so, IF I do this it'll be off the body when I do the cutting........... Anyone have some scrapes in either or both of these woods?

If you don't have the scrap and want to match the existing body wood, give a shout out here, I'm sure there a plenty of people here with scrap wood who will help you out. Really, as long as you use the same wood, and get the grain going in the same direction, it will become very difficult to see once it's glued in and stained.

One of the more difficult jobs to pull off, especially if you're talking close to invisible. Now, I'm wondering if you're speaking from experience, because it's quite a talent. Most guys who can do it well are hard to talk into doing it. Add the problem of finding a piece of wood that matches well enough ( if only it was as simple as just going through a small stash of the same kind of wood).

I don't care if this pisses people off (and it will), but I think the gaps will look better than a repair attempt by any member of this forum. Unless in the end we're shown a less than perfectly clear photo, shot from several feet away.

Now, I'm wondering if you're speaking from experience, because it's quite a talent.

I've had to do similar shaping, mostly to repair the various screwups along the way. The end results are usually pretty good, even with my own limited woodworking experience. I haven't tried this particular trick --although I just fitted a strat neck to a tele body. But because the gaps are completely covered by the pickguard and overhang, it just doesn't bother me at all that they're there. :D

I suppose it all depends on how bad he wants it. But that's why I suggest he tries shaping the pieces away from the guitar, there's no worries about screwup that way.

I've done various variations of stuff like this over 20 years, and have yet to be knocked out by any of those particular results. And I wasn't really trying to be sarcastic with you (in case it came off that way), I was curious how good you've been at this sort of thing, since if I recall correctly, you're fairly new to taking on repairs (or maybe just new to complete builds).

Pickguards rule for stuff like this. Take for example the oak reinforcement strip at the bridge end of the pickup cavity rout on my main strat. Ok, I wasn't trying too hard to make an invisible match with that one.

I've done various variations of stuff like this over 20 years, and have yet to be knocked out by any of those particular results. And I wasn't really trying to be sarcastic with you (in case it came off that way), I was curious how good you've been at this sort of thing, since if I recall correctly, you're fairly new to taking on repairs (or maybe just new to complete builds).

Pickguards rule for stuff like this. Take for example the oak reinforcement strip at the bridge end of the pickup cavity rout on my main strat. Ok, I wasn't trying too hard to make an invisible match with that one.

I am of course a firm believer in the divinity of pickguards. I wouldn't suggest that he try this on something that won't get covered up anyway. Although I've always been surprised at just how difficult it can be to spot some of the repairs I've had to done (on my own work--not on anyone else's guitar!)

And I get your point--I'm not suggesting it'll be easy to do it this way, just that, if he's really all that a n a l , it's one way to go about it. And if he's really that much of a stickler, then he'll stick with it until he comes up with something he's comfortable with.

Of course, this is part of the slippery slope that is going to get him into building.... :D

"Pickguards rule for stuff like this."

I know a pickguard would do the "cover up" BUT I hate to cover ANY of this top. :D

Haha. You could use a clear pickguard and get an artist to do a little paint job on the underside of the pickguard right where the gaps are located. That is, if a pickgard slips under that over-hang. That can vary. I have an extended over-hang on one guitar that smacks right against the top of the body.

Update,, it's looking like the builder of the neck MAY send me a Tele neck built of the same woods, we'll see,, we're still talkin' about this. Hopefully it'll work out BUT if he doesn't I think I might just bolt it up and see what I think of it,, heck, I cold always go back and "fix" it later IF I feel the need.

Thanks for the replies guys! :D