Crazy Wood Score

I can't say for certain in all cases that they won't be problematic, but from the cocobolo I've had and come across, they aren't even really knots, not as in the general term. It's almost more like figure than anything. I know there are many people with more insight here, but from my experience, they don't even seem like knots at all. Tough to explain really and that is just from what I have come across, maybe at some point in the tree they do feel like a normal knot, but the stuff I have and seen its just as smooth as the rest of the wood. J

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't all those knots going to be problematic? Or no?

im with you!

they may not be 'knots'; but that disruption in the grain is not 'prefered' in your fingerboard;but part of building your own is to stray from 'standards'

i prefer straight grained anything in fb; but even ive gone way beyond that for the sake of looks!

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't all those knots going to be problematic? Or no?

im with you!

they may not be 'knots'; but that disruption in the grain is not 'prefered' in your fingerboard;but part of building your own is to stray from 'standards'

i prefer straight grained anything in fb; but even ive gone way beyond that for the sake of looks!

I won't argue with that, I know from a friend I was to get some flatsawn coco fingerboards from, just how bad they want to warp and cup. Another person I know has said the exact same thing, flatsawn coco and the like is a gamble. I definitely see the point behind using some nice straight grained material, however, I do like flatsawn material as well, it's just a risk to use it. Some flatwsawn bubinga fingerboards I had gotten from Jon has behaved fine so far, no major problems to speak of. I just don't think those "knots" are a problem in the normal sense, "knots" or not I'd imagine you run the risk either way when not using straight grained coco. Sucks too because I love the look of it. J