How Best To Finish An Ebony Fretboard.....?

Hi all!

Hope this is the right area to post this in....

I'm finishing an ebony fretboard, and I'd like some opinions on how best to get a nice sheen on it.

I've just finished wet-sanding it with 1200 carbide paper, and it looks quite good - I would just like it to have a bit more sheen.

It's lovely and flat, and very smooth to the touch. I only really want to improve the appearance of it now.

Also, what would darken it a bit? It appears to have become lighter after sanding.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

DJ

Hi all!

Hope this is the right area to post this in....

I'm finishing an ebony fretboard, and I'd like some opinions on how best to get a nice sheen on it.

I've just finished wet-sanding it with 1200 carbide paper, and it looks quite good - I would just like it to have a bit more sheen.

It's lovely and flat, and very smooth to the touch. I only really want to improve the appearance of it now.

Also, what would darken it a bit? It appears to have become lighter after sanding.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

DJ

wet sanding with water? that is not a good idea at all for bare wood. you wont get anywhere like that becuase you will keep raising the grain. boiled linseed oil would make it look jet black, and with a wonderful glossy reflection.

I think that you need to get a little more information. Altho most people will say that it is a bad idea, Carvin does their ebony boards radius on a machine with a ton of water running thru them, go to their site and order the free DVD and see for your self

Thanks fellas!

I've requested the Carvin DVD, which will be of interest anyway, but as I'm in UK I'm not sure if I'll get it!

Any other thoughts anyone??

DJ

i htink your on the right track; i dont know how your not satisfied with a 1200 sand out;

maybe the water IS adversly affecting the outcome you hoped for; like sheen on bare wood needs to be scratched so maybe the wet sanding is too fine and showing up previous scratches (that are still very small)

if this happened to me i would sand up to like 1000-1200 w/o water, just quikly buff it; then do a crazy number like 1500, but try wetting it with lemon oil or mineral spirits; something that you should either put on when its done (lemon oil) or something that will evaporate completly (mineral spirits)

but if your looking for a 'mirror' shine , you might have to go the way of epoxy and buff it out like laquer;

lets see some pics

You want a mirror finish? Try these MicroMesh pads

The shine starts to happen from about 3000 or so. By the time you get to 12000, you can almost read a newspaper in the wood. It's extraordinary.

I use them dry. StewMac sells them for touchups and finishes. but I've used them to buff the rest of the guitar (body and wood) instead of polishing with paste and a buffer. I've done two guitars, two necks, three fretboards, and there's still life in my first set. Very cool stuff, and not expensive at all.

+1 on micromesh. It's the only high grit sandpaper I use on my guitars. Works well for fingerboards and level sanding the finish.

+1 again on the micromesh. IN fact I've found that buffing with white diamond actually scratches the 12000 grit finish. ONly need to buff with a good wax.

Just my observation.

MK

Not certain but maybe, Off Topic? Meaning that cool little trick isn't directly related to the question at hand. I swear everytime I feel like I have a grip on all the different hip internet words someone posts a bunch more that I have never seen. So, to all those people QUWGHFUOQHE. J

Not certain but maybe, Off Topic? Meaning that cool little trick isn't directly related to the question at hand. I swear everytime I feel like I have a grip on all the different hip internet words someone posts a bunch more that I have never seen. So, to all those people QUWGHFUOQHE. J

ahhh...I see!

And yeah, I know what you mean.....it's all TTGXCPUI77's really though, isn't it??!! :D

DJ

(It's my topic, I'm allowed to deviate...) :D