School Project

@WezV: I'll admit that I was being a bit verbose about the subject but I was really trying to address Scrappy_Squirrel's comments. To simplify: He IS changing only one thing at once (the bridge). I think his posts show that he has a very good grasp of what is required here. It's others' comments that I'm not so sure about!

@thegarehanman: I'm proud of being a scientific snob. There's no point almost making an insight into something. You've got to do it properly or you may as well not bother. Worse than that, you may think you've learnt something when really you've just mislead yourself. I think the OP has demonstrated enough of an interest in doing this project well that he would enjoy being a science snob too so I might actually be encouraging him!

Sadly, I'd not be particularly keen to recommend to people that they aspire to science (at least here in the UK) given how undervalued science and engineering is regarded here (and I'm not just talking about pay either).

@WezV: I'll admit that I was being a bit verbose about the subject but I was really trying to address Scrappy_Squirrel's comments. To simplify: He IS changing only one thing at once (the bridge). I think his posts show that he has a very good grasp of what is required here. It's others' comments that I'm not so sure about!

Being verbose is fine, i can understand being passionate about what you do. Usually in threads like this we get a lot of posts like scrappysquirrels that take it more serious than it needs to be for the person wanting to do the research, thats not been the case this time though which must be a good thing. carousel182 seems to have his head screwed on enough to get him through school. I suppose all these other variables that have been pointed out to him can still be used in his write up and evaluation, even if he isnt yet at the stage to be able to study them in more depth. So scrappy squirrels post is still helpfull - even if it comes over a little harsh.

I should also point out that i mostly teach social sciences rather than the real kind. we use the experimental method but obviously with the subjects i do at the level i teach it is not quite the same thing. Just making sure everyone knows i am not claiming to be an expert on science, i think i know more than the average person but probably less than anyone who has studied science at university level :D

I should also point out that i mostly teach social sciences rather than the real kind. we use the experimental method but obviously with the subjects i do at the level i teach it is not quite the same thing. Just making sure everyone knows i am not claiming to be an expert on science, i think i know more than the average person but probably less than anyone who has studied science at university level :D

I did A-level psychology (as a kind of fun, extra subject!) and I think that some of the experimental methods

/procedures we used there were more sound than I see people using in my work today. Since psychology can very intractable experimentally, it becomes almost more important to be very rigorous with the stats and method (even if the underlying statistical understanding might not be there). So don't do yourself down!

I agree with Aidlook that you should try to make the setup as close as possible to the "real" thing because then your results will be more relevant to the real situation of playing the guitar. I wouldn't do anything at the expense of being able to pluck the string consistently though because I think that's a more important factor in the results.

I'm smelling a little bit of territorial pissing going on in here. Man, this place gets more uptight with every passing year. I guess being the new guy on the block I have to pay my dues first eh?

I stand corrected by the science snob on the process of "science". There were a few comments made by people that were meant to be derogatory towards me, in defense of the OP but thats ok as they were made to protect him, I understand. Sometimes people let their emotions control their actions but that's inherently part of what makes us human. My real intent was to open up communication and dialog about the subject and express my concern for his grade, not to rub his face in the dirt and kick him when he's down. I must have missed the part about it being a high school project and others must have missed the part where I said I was concerned. I started my comments out by saying they might be taken as harsh because sometimes I'm not sure how else to say it. I'd rather express concern in the best way I know how and risk criticism than not speak at all.

Next time I'll reserve my concern and post a pretty picture of a puppy or fluffy kitten complete with inspirational corporate cliches about climbing mountains or making lemonade. Hell, concern is overrated anyway. :D:D

To the OP, good luck on your science project. I truly hope you get what you want out of your class and your project with a good grade to boot.

...The evil eyed squirrel slowly slithers and skulks out of the room...

I think you're misinterpreting what's being said, as I've not written anything meant to be or read anything that comes across as "territorial pissing." You made it clear that the results would not be useful, and I simply retorted by saying that, in the case of a high school project, it is not the usefullness of the results that matters, but the manner in which they were obtained and the fact that you can distinguish whether or not they are usefull as well as what factors you may need to take into account (including possible further testing) to make the results decisive and useful.

However, I would still like like that picture of a puppy. :D

Edited by thegarehanman

yeah, like i said - the things you mentioned could be used by carousel in his report so its definately worth mentioning them even if he doesnt let them sidetrack his school project.

you pointed out that you may sound a little harsh and considering the fact its for a school project you did sound a bit harsh. no problem with that, especially if you missed the mention of the school project. If it wasnt a school project there would have been a lot more posts like yours already and that isnt a bad thing. These things do need to be considered if more serious research is to take place.

unfortunately terrritorial pissing happens all the time around here but i am not sure thats what was going on in this case