Making Bridges

I am wanting to make a solid body guitar,im wondering how to shape the bridge i dont want it to be adgustable so it will be simpler.

i dont know anything about how to shape it.

Hello, and welcome!

I think it would help if you could explain a little more, and even link to a picture of something like what you have in mind.

Most solid body bridges are adjustable, in terms of height (for action) and string length (for intonation)

Do you mean you want to make a bridge like an acoustic guitar?

DJ

I think it would help if you could explain a little more, and even link to a picture of something like what you have in mind.

Most solid body bridges are adjustable, in terms of height (for action) and string length (for intonation)

Do you mean you want to make a bridge like an acoustic guitar?

DJ

I think it will be a lot like an ibanez but im desining my own body shape.it will have a 25'' scale length.

I think I could make it have adjustable height.

i was thinking of doing somthing like an acoustic bridge.

i dont know how to adgust intonation.

If you build a bridge out of wood, you will have little room to adjust intonation. string height is easier to adjust. just file the saddle until you reach the desired height. but intonation is harder. just like an acoustic. if you make the saddle wider, you'll get more room to adjust intonation.

but I don't know if that's the way to go, I would use a regular solid body bridge.

Edited by Hector

I would use a regular solid body bridge.

+1

although you say you think it will make things easier, I'd be worried that it would make things more complicated actually! :D

A basic bridge is very easy to source, very cheap to buy, very easy to install, and very easy to set up and adjust. (...and that's a lot of "very"s!)

My advice would be to have a serious re-think - it is, of course, your guitar, and it's what you want that matters :D

DJ

Edited by djhollowman

although you say you think it will make things easier, I'd be worried that it would make things more complicated actually! :D

I was thinking more of looks than how easy it would be to make.

I want to make every thing but the tuners and strings my self B) i have made two folding knives so i gues making an adjustable bridge wont bo to hard.

would stainless steal work fore the bridge or do you have to use brass?

how do you set the intonation anyway :D