Snakeskin Finish

I have yhe basic idea how to get were i want tobe with this project. Does anyone have any tips or ever done it before.

I plan on doing a Grey color

1st i was going to base coat dark grey the use a laundry bag for the texture spray the lighter grey color and air brush out the graphic anding black to the to light grey to get the effect.

dont think it will work. by your interests and your name, it seems as though you are a jackson fan. i am too. but i dont think you are going to get it to work like that. and if you can make the texture like that with a bag, you need marbilizer paint, becuase other paint will stick to it and wont do anything good. the hok marbilizer says its possible to get a snakeskin effect with it. this is not how the jackson guitars are made. they are hand airbrushed snakeskin.

dont think it will work. by your interests and your name, it seems as though you are a jackson fan. i am too. but i dont think you are going to get it to work like that. and if you can make the texture like that with a bag, you need marbilizer paint, becuase other paint will stick to it and wont do anything good. the hok marbilizer says its possible to get a snakeskin effect with it. this is not how the jackson guitars are made. they are hand airbrushed snakeskin.

When i used yexture i didnt mean it in that way i meant the scale look. sorry fpor a poor choice in words. I had a tele body i bought in the 80s and threw a lefty strat head neck on it i sprayed the body it looked awful but played great i craved it up threw a floyd in it soapbar at the neck I filled in the neck pick up so it's just 1 humbucker at the bridge and thought it would make a coll project.

snakeskin is decently easy to do. The key is that you need fishnet stockings. You get ones that are the size you want for the scales, then you have to stretch them over the guitar. Make sure the guitar is already based in the color that you want between the scales. Then just go at it with the colors you want the scales to be. I'd recommend practicing first as with most things, but give it a go, it does look cool when it's done well. Also, for highlights on the scales, if you decide to do that, you pretty much have to do them one at a time. You can't do that with a spray can, you could do it with a brush if you wanted, just keep the paint thin, otherwise you can do the rest with a spray can if you wanted. Good look with it. :D The laundry bag will work fine as well, if you like the shape of the holes.

I have yhe basic idea how to get were i want tobe with this project. Does anyone have any tips or ever done it before.

I plan on doing a Grey color

1st i was going to base coat dark grey the use a laundry bag for the texture spray the lighter grey color and air brush out the graphic anding black to the to light grey to get the effect.

Do you want it to look something like this.....I like snake ,Too

P5030001a.jpg

I matched the gutair ,amp,case,and strap......I know you want to use fishnet stocking ,then layer the paint light to dark.can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ok I tried it on a piece of wooed with white and black and it looked gtrreat started on the guitar was going good and i tried to add copper which wound up looking like rust so i'll sand it down and start over with black almond white and gray

Here are the pics

100_0981.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/D...08/100_0984.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/D...08/100_0983.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/D...08/100_0978.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

The problem that I see with the copper is that the bag moved on ya so it got the pattern off. I would suggest that you do a lighter base and then do the darker color for the scales, but that's just my preference, looks like you got the right idea goin' though. Make sure you let us see it when you're done.

I like the speckled effect with the copper color. Looks good. I hope the paint in the neck pocket doesn't cause any problems. :D

I didn't even think of thaT. SH@# I guees I can use a chisel and scrap the paint off I haven't clear coated it yet. I was planing on putting laquer on it how mnay coats do you think. I was thinking 5 to 7.

I'll be spraying the laquer tonight anyone have any suggestions on how many coats i should put on it

Sprayed 2 coats on the second coated the paint blistered up in some areas, Any clues as to why? I guess I'll have to strip the whole thing again and start over. One good thing is once the laquer was put on the color became much more noticable and the snakeskin effect all the more noticable. I'll post part 3 of this project as i more forward with it.

Since you have to strip and repaint, I'll throw this out there quick. I would get a different medium to make the scale effect with. That look like you use a mesh laundry bag. The snakeskin effect that comes from the fishnets gets a more diamond shape to the scales which is more accurate. Whatever you used made the scale very round. You did a very nice job with it and I like the way the color was coming out. I would just try and find fishnet stockings that will give you more of a diamond pattern or stretch them more to elegonate the holes.

I figured it was just something for you and you liked the pattern, if you're selling it you should definately use fishnet material, the diamonds make it look a lot better, I would also say when you paint it, make diamond shapes with the paint, use the other guitar that was posted in the thread for reference, that would make it much more desirable to most people buying it, at least in my view. And, like pmarlin said, I wouldn't mix rattle cans, especially not rattle can paint with laquer, that is almost certainly what caused the problems. I would at least try to use like an enamel, that's often what rattle can paints are, there are some "automotive" rattle can clears, certainly not as good as the normal stuff, but they seem to be pretty strong, I used duplicolor engine enamel on a panel and I was even able to buff it and whatnot. I don't know what that would do to the sound of the guitar, but I wouldn't think it would do a whole bunch. Good luck on your next try.

I'll be spraying the laquer tonight anyone have any suggestions on how many coats i should put on it

Sprayed 2 coats on the second coated the paint blistered up in some areas, Any clues as to why? I guess I'll have to strip the whole thing again and start over. One good thing is once the laquer was put on the color became much more noticable and the snakeskin effect all the more noticable. I'll post part 3 of this project as i more forward with it.

holy crap!

someone messed up, and instead of crying blaming products and compounding mistakes , theyre gonna eat it and start over!

i think this is something that every new builder on here should look at;

it sucks things didnt go as originally planned; but your doing the right thing; and you got the right ideas for making it right; hats off

I stripped the body down again, My Bro inlaw refinishes furniture and told me it was the emanel in the spray can that reacted with the laquer finish. He has laquer paint at work as well as spray cans of it they use for touch ups. He's goin to bring some over tommorrow and we'll start over then. this time I'm going to go with ablack base coat then almond an antique white and a taupe colrs and fleck in some black from a can over the top. I'm figuring on like 5 coats of laquer a wet sand a then another coat of laquer over the top. The colors seem to really come alive after the laquer. In the pics I have posted they are w/o a top coat when i top coated it the parts that didn't lift looked great the colors really jumped out w/o top coat they were really muted. So if your looking for laquer in a rattle can MOHAWK has them they use them on furniture then laquer over the top with no ill affects.

holy crap!

someone messed up, and instead of crying blaming products and compounding mistakes , theyre gonna eat it and start over!

i think this is something that every new builder on here should look at;

it sucks things didnt go as originally planned; but your doing the right thing; and you got the right ideas for making it right; hats off

If you are using rattle can lacquer, you want more than 5 coats before wet sanding. Rattle cans build slowly, usually guys will use about 3 or 4 cans of lacquer. I can usually get about 4 wet coats out of a can, so I would figure on 8-10 coats if not more before your first level sanding. Otherwise you will defintely sand through to the color. Once you level sand, go with a few more coats, and see how level they are. If they go on nice and flat, then let it cure. If there is orange peel, sand it down a little more and then go with 2 more coats and let cure.