My definate next project...

ok cleaning out the garage i noticed an fairly big mirror that's junk, thinking about doing the disco ball or some kind of mirror finish too now.. any tips on how to cut the stuff?? i have a wet dimond cut tile saw will that work? and do ya have to use grout??

Dang, I wanted to be the one to revive the diso ball idea...oh well, at least now I have some cool template ides. Mine, if I ever decide to make one will have a different placing of the mirror tiles though, I plan on making them into concentric circles, to have even more of a disco "ball" effect.

so long

ace

Strictly speaking MDF can't be classed as plywood as there is no ply (multiple laminates).

Plywood is multiple layers of wood glues together. The grain going left-right on one sheet and forwards-backwards on the next, repeating this pattern through the wood. This is what makes it strong and flexible.

MDF is essentially sawdust and glue, which is why they had to stop using it on DIY programs as radiator covers. It heats up and releases poisionous fumes.

:D

In that case I have to apologize for unknowingly stating false information. I have tripped over the language barrier, thinking that plywood was the common word for those particle-board kinds like MDF is. Now I realize that you are completely right and thank you for rectifying my wrong. You never stop learning, I guess :D

so long

ace

P.S.: The only correct info in my above post was that MDF stands for "Middle(or Medium) Density Fiberboard" and the same Acronym applies to the German translation, which is a rare thing...

ok cleaning out the garage i noticed an fairly big mirror that's junk, thinking about doing the disco ball or some kind of mirror finish too now.. any tips on how to cut the stuff?? i have a wet dimond cut tile saw will that work? and do ya have to use grout??

I very much doubt that the mirrors on those guitars are real glass. They most probably are acrylic mirrors. You can get sheets of them where they sell plexi-glass. You can cut them as easily as any other acrylic sheet. I've seen them in 1/8" thickness. They're lighter than glass and a bit safer if you happened to bang or drop the guitar. Acrylic is obviously not as scratch-resistant as glass but still much more than other kinds of transparent plastic sheets. And if it does get scratched, you can buff it out.

hmmm, never knew u could buy i pre mirrored.... maybe i'll look into that, either way, another question

can you clear coat over the disco ball kinda finished?? i know i'd probably take quite a bit, but i was thinking, make the guitar kinda smaller, then put on all the little tiles, and fill everything with clear, and build it up till you have enough to wet sand so that your arms won't be able to tell the difference

• 4 weeks later...