How To Date Hondo Guitars

Hondos have no value as far as I know,new or old.

I disagree. I'm not a fan myself but there are collectors.

Here's a bit from Wiki:

Hondo is currently a company that produces entry-level electric guitars and basses, usually based on the designs of more expensive models such as the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Les Paul. Between 1974 and 1983 Hondo produced guitars in Japan. These models are good quality and very collectible instruments, similar to contemporary Ibanez models. Good quality also are the models produced in Korea between the 1984 and the 1987, mostly Fender or Gibson copies. Hondo is currently owned by Musicorp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo_(guitar_company)

I guess you could always write and ask them the current market value of your model: kmcmcpsales-musicorp@kaman.com

It's like the town bicycle,baby...everyone takes a ride.

By the way...don't forget,I was around and playing guitar while those "good quality" hondo guitars were still making the rounds,and every one I ever saw and played was very poor...

Japan,as far as I remember,didn't really become a guitar builder powerhouse until the late 80s...before that they were similar to Korea of 5 years ago,or China and Indonesia today...but that is just from my memory.

It's like the town bicycle,baby...everyone takes a ride.

By the way...don't forget,I was around and playing guitar while those "good quality" hondo guitars were still making the rounds,and every one I ever saw and played was very poor...

Japan,as far as I remember,didn't really become a guitar builder powerhouse until the late 80s...before that they were similar to Korea of 5 years ago,or China and Indonesia today...but that is just from my memory.

Having said that, there is no denying that some of them are sought after by certain people and thus, have some value. It look like the one mentioned in the original post dates from the period said to be of interest, so yes, I'd say it's worth having it valued.

Yeah..value is what people will pay.Say you had a karmen ghia(volkswagen car) as your first car...when you turn 40,you may pay more than you should for another one,just to replace the memory of your first...even though you know it isn't worth it.

I think it is the same thing here.The build quality of a Hondo back in the day would only bring $150 to $200 brand new today,yet some are willing to pay more for nostalgia.