Piezo For Floydrose Bridge

teddybear

Well if your willing to take the do-it-yourself route heres a couple good links:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=homemade+piezo

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=439

I was thinking of doing it with a floyd. I've got the piezo buzzer but still have to get around to putting it on. From what I've heard it should only take about a day. Good Luck!

I just put a couple of the film piezos in my Ibanez Edge III bridge. I had to take all the saddles off, loosen the screws that hold the top plates on the sustain block, and slid 'em in between. I wasn't watching the clock, so I'm not sure, but I'm sure it didn't take much more than an hour to do it.

They're quiet as hell, though, so my next project will be a preamp for 'em.

I have been fighting with DIY piezo for over 6 weeks now.

I was trying to get them to work on a tune-o-matic. sort of the same very small work area.

I picked up 500 piezo buzzers off ebay and kept getting mixed results.

some were really loud, some dull, some dead (based on cutting to size, wiring, and placement)

I did this like 10 years ago on a few tremelo bridges like strat copys. it worked with no issues, and was very ugly. I was very mad when it was taking so long to get a decent result.

So I reverted back last night to the radio shack buzzers. the last 3 digits were XXX-273

these can be cut very small and none of the out put tone changes.

I cut a single buzzer into 6 of these smaller then the tune-o-matic saddles and wired each one up with a + and - wire shielded.

I epoxied them on last night, Like I have done 5 times already (plus made numerous wood bridged that failed). they all had the same output and sound really loud compared to the ebay buzzers I got. only negative, there are clumps of epoxy on top of the saddled, so I have to file in string slots, and they are a bit taller then the original of course. but the volume was so great it sounded like I had a electric guitar plugged in. this was all done passive. no preamps, straight into a processor and out to headphones so all tests were the same minimizing variables.

the ebay buzzers were not as loud passive. I guess they were just junk.

I put them on the back of the saddles so the string just contacts the leading edge of the piezo.

It has been a long PITA, but doable. I put the ceramic side up and insulated from string contact with the epoxy so they dont ground out. in the past I have done a wood bridge with the brass side up... (no grounding issues with wood bridge)

I have been thinking how to do it to a strat style bridge.... one ideas was to mold stock strat saddles in silicone rubber, then fill with epoxy and slide the piezo in it while wet to build something like a graphtech saddle.

or use a dremel and make a slot in the metal saddle for the piezo to fit into and epoxy it in. Keeping the positive lead insulated from metal contact of course.

I have a couple floyd type guitars... I will take a look and see if I can think anything up to make one. one issue is when string contact is lost, so is the piezo signal. so I guess whammy acoustic tone will be out of the question. I just wonder about epoxying them on and raising teh string height.

I did mine 6 individuals because I am trying to get some midi stuff working. I am running the piezo into a g2ka pickup. it is basically replacing the magnetic pickup part of the G2ka. I am trying to make a modular system so mutiple guitars can be used with my midi pickup and quickly plugged in.

• 9 months later...

The masses are probably aware already but since this is the only thread on the topic I've found and it hasn't been updated in yonks...

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=28

GraphTech have released a drop-in Floyd replacement Ghost bridge. A tad on the expensive side once you factor everything in though...

• 4 weeks later...
I have been fighting with DIY piezo for over 6 weeks now.

I cut a single buzzer into 6 of these smaller then the tune-o-matic saddles and wired each one up with a + and - wire shielded.

I am trying to make a modular system so mutiple guitars can be used with my midi pickup and quickly plugged in.

That’s a real hack! We think along same lines, check out my idea of CMOS inverter as onboard amp right for piezo and how to make saddles out of piezo cigarette lighters, though I foresee I do not have enough patience to implement this.

I did the buzzer pickup without amp and did not like – the output is much lower than humbuckers. Did you try putting pickups in parallel or in series, man you have 500 of them :D

Edited by grtvrm