Flying V Finish

GuitarGoat

I've started building a Flying V style guitar. Set neck, redwood body, maple neck, ebony fretboard. I don't know what kind of finish would look good. I want to leave it natural maybe? Or do like a sunburst that would leave part of it natural. Any ideas? I think I'm going to put curly maple binding on the fretboard, headstock, and body, also. Thanks for the help.

Using Redwood for a body is a little unusual, where did you get the idea to do that?

If you have the wood, please post a pic.

Redwood is very soft, very porous and typically easily dented, something that would seem to me to not be a good choice for a hard-rockin' guitar like a V...and I would presume a very muted, soft tone.

It will soak up finish like a sponge unless you seal it with epoxy or some similar sealer first.

Where is your experience level right now, it will help assess the best answer to your question.

Well my Grandpa found two huge pieces of Redwood in his basement and gave them to me to use on a guitar. I'll try to get pics up soon if I can.

Experience-wise I've already finished a guitar - a solid maple Superstrat kinda thing, neck-thru, Recessed Floyd Rose, EMGs, that kind of thing - and I have already started my second guitar. The second one is going to be a solid maple Dean ML style guitar. It's going to have a more "fancy" appearance with binding and such.

I got this Redwood and since it could easily make a body I really want to make a V with it and it looks really nice. That's just my idea. I could've sworn there was like a Dean made out of Redwood. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the help and any more suggestions would be nice.

Well my Grandpa found two huge pieces of Redwood in his basement and gave them to me to use on a guitar. I'll try to get pics up soon if I can.

Experience-wise I've already finished a guitar - a solid maple Superstrat kinda thing, neck-thru, Recessed Floyd Rose, EMGs, that kind of thing - and I have already started my second guitar. The second one is going to be a solid maple Dean ML style guitar. It's going to have a more "fancy" appearance with binding and such.

I got this Redwood and since it could easily make a body I really want to make a V with it and it looks really nice. That's just my idea. I could've sworn there was like a Dean made out of Redwood. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the help and any more suggestions would be nice.

the deans you are thinking of have a curly redwood top, not the whole body. i made a v out of redwood one time. it was one of my worst ideas. sure it works, but one slight bump, and you have a 4" chunk missing from the wing tips. and yes it is very hard to finish becuase it requires so much to get it preped right.

If you like the look of the Redwood, then I would choose some other wood for the body core, and have a piece of the Redwood resawn for a 1/4" or 1/8"bookmatched top.

Bookmatched rear, too, if you want to do that as well.

Binding would look really good against it as well.

JMO. :D

Thanks for the help guys. I guess the Flying V won't be happening yet, since I don't have the capabilities to resaw it here and it's way too soft. Maybe I'll do a Mahogony/Maple V eventually. Keep your eyes open for the ML once it's done, it should be pretty BA. :D

Check around to any local cabinet makers. Any of them that are set up to resaw are usually willing to do the work for only a few bucks/beers.