Suggestions On Body Wood Choice?

100_3332.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...it/100_3334.jpg

Okay, So I found this sad piece of padauk abandoned in the corner of my shop and then I found this fretboard that I forgot about in another corner of my shop. Before I knew it, I ended up making a 25.5” Padauk neck with a bocote fretboard.

I really didn’t have a project in mind for this so I’m a bit lost right now.

What I need is a good color to match the body.

At first I thought Zebrawood because Zebra and padauk look good together but then I thought otherwise because bocote and zebra have very similar color tones. so it might wash out the colors on the fretboard.

So, I'm currently pondering three ideas?

Use Padauk with zebrawood stringers

Use padauk with Ebony stringers

Use Limba with ebony stringers

Any suggestions on a wood choice that would look nice with my choice of neck woods?

Edited by zyonsdream

All those woods you mentioned are -very- dense and -very- heavy woods, which may have a negative effect on the final tone (and weight) ...of the guitar.

I would go for a nice bookmatched Paduak top over a body wood that has some MEAT in the tone dept., like Mahogony, which would grain match with Paduak quite well overall.

Paduak can have some nice grain structure but not so intense that it competes with the beauty of the fingerboard.

Be careful not to make the body too busy, it will compete with, not compliment, your fingerboard.

Even chamber it maybe, unless chambering would result in a top heavy guitar due to the weight of the neck.

Absolutely beautiful neck! :D

All those woods you mentioned are -very- dense and -very- heavy woods, which may have a negative effect on the final tone (and weight) ...of the guitar.

I would go for a nice bookmatched Paduak top over a body wood that has some MEAT in the tone dept., like Mahogony, which would grain match with Paduak quite well overall.

Paduak can have some nice grain structure but not so intense that it competes with the beauty of the fingerboard.

Be careful not to make the body too busy, it will compete with, not compliment, your fingerboard.

Even chamber it maybe, unless chambering would result in a top heavy guitar due to the weight of the neck.

Absolutely beautiful neck! :D

Thanks for the complements on the neck, I appreciate it. I understand what you mean about making the guitar too busy. I really want the fret board to be the focal point for the eye so my goal is not to splatter the piece with 20 different color tones!

Using a Padauk top with a mahogany back might be a nice solution and would likely balance the weight of the neck nicely. Having a “warmer” wood like mahogany might take some of the snap out of that padauk. Even a limba back would be nice but I absolutely hate seeing limba covered up with a top. It’s too nice a wood for that!

Thanks for your suggestions, keep em’ coming!

I agree about the mahogany body wood.But I would paint body and neck gloss black,and Bind the fretboard with black as well,leaving the fretboard to stand alone....I think that would look great.

I once built a cherry neck with a bocote fingerboard on a maple body,and though the tone was sweet,it was bright as a windchime,hence virtually unlistenable...it hurt my ears it was so sharp..

Incedentally...be sure you seat the frets right the first time...bocote tears out like crazy when pulling frets.

I agree about the mahogany body wood.But I would paint body and neck gloss black,and Bind the fretboard with black as well,leaving the fretboard to stand alone....I think that would look great.

I once built a cherry neck with a bocote fingerboard on a maple body,and though the tone was sweet,it was bright as a windchime,hence virtually unlistenable...it hurt my ears it was so sharp..

Incedentally...be sure you seat the frets right the first time...bocote tears out like crazy when pulling frets.

Wha…huh… paint? What? Paint, exotic wood? :D

Well, I decided to go with White Limba for the back and Padauk for the top. I’ll also run some Indian rosewood stringers because I like how rosewood looks in contrast to Padauk. It should make for a simple yet elegant color contrast.

BTW, I went with Limba over mahogany because I need Limba for another project so I figured it would do for this project.

Now I just need to decide how I want to finish it and what freaking shape I want to do with it.

My first thought is Dr. Ducks and a slim line semi-hollow tele shape.

I know. Boring!

Telecasters are never boring, except to new guitar builders who always want to recreate the world with their new and original designs (yes, me included once upon a time) :D :D.

Having said that, I think a more modern sleek body design would suit that killer headstock better.

Just me. B)

I'm still not sold on the body shape and I might go with something new (try to recreate the world) type thing but it's still up in the air. I really like the idea of letting the wood speak to me and tell me what it wants to be. So far all of the wood used was abandoned or forgotten so it’s sort of my guitar from the land of misfit toys.

I thought using straight mahogany or limba would make the neck stand out as being odd with the redness of Padauk and since I don’t want to hardcoat the body I wouldn’t be able to get a nice red tint to the wood.

I think the choice of using a Padauk top will work out.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a few decisions and acted on them before I could change my mind. I really like it better when I have a firm game plan instead of this “wing it” mentality that I have with this build!

I went with a Padauk top, white limba back and Bolivian rosewood stringers. I think that these wood choices really put the focus on that Bocote board.

I’m going to hard coat the body and neck with polyester (minus the board)

Two humbuckers

Kahler Hybrid bridge

Jumbo frets

Most likely black hardware.

1 volume, 2 tone

Simple but elegant… and easy to sell. LOL!

100_3417.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...it/100_3421.jpg

Awesome! :D That is one nice looking guitar. You are right that the focus is on the bocote, but everything else looks cool too. I've never cared for teles much and hoped you wouldn't pick that design, but I must admit that I really like it. :D

Thanks for the complements! I usually end up keeping the guitars that aren’t commissioned builds and I already have a nice Tele shaped guitar in my collection so I figured it would be easier to list this one for sale. If I had made a warlock out of this it would surely stay with me because I absolutely love Warlocks.

I don’t have a problem letting my herd grow but for some reason my wife does