Pickup Replacement

metallisomething

I installed EMG 81 and 85's in my custom build....however my tastes have evolved a little. I've been going back to my first guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica. I like the way it plays and sounds. I'm thinking of replacing the neck pickup and possibly the middle(both singles). It has a 5 way switch, and to my knowledge theres one position where it combines the neck and middle pickups together (there is no him in this position) is this correct? anyway, I just want a warm tone for playing mostly clean rythym and lead, with lots of sustain. I've never tried anything else besides what I have, so I need some advice (I'm left handed, I can't exactly pick up a guitar in a store and make a good choice). Also, I really know little about 'sustainer kits' though I have been reading the sustainer thread.

any advice is appreciated!

Not sure where you live but, here's an outfit with some good gear at good prices and a bunch of lefties guitars. :D

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitarleft.html

I installed EMG 81 and 85's in my custom build....however my tastes have evolved a little. I've been going back to my first guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica. I like the way it plays and sounds. I'm thinking of replacing the neck pickup and possibly the middle(both singles). It has a 5 way switch, and to my knowledge theres one position where it combines the neck and middle pickups together (there is no him in this position) is this correct? anyway, I just want a warm tone for playing mostly clean rythym and lead, with lots of sustain. I've never tried anything else besides what I have, so I need some advice (I'm left handed, I can't exactly pick up a guitar in a store and make a good choice). Also, I really know little about 'sustainer kits' though I have been reading the sustainer thread.

any advice is appreciated!

I think my post was misread. This doesn't have anything to do with my build and the EMG's. I was just illustrating the point that my music has evolved. I'm talking about my Yamaha Pacifica guitar. I'm looking for a single coil to replace the neck and possibly middle pickup on my YAMAHA PACIFICA :D

ok cool lol and I want those pickups to have a nice warm tone and lots of sustain for clean rythym and lead. Also possibly ones with very low noise, or none at all.

thanks

I think my post was misread. This doesn't have anything to do with my build and the EMG's. I was just illustrating the point that my music has evolved. I'm talking about my Yamaha Pacifica guitar. I'm looking for a single coil to replace the neck and possibly middle pickup on my YAMAHA PACIFICA :D

ok cool lol and I want those pickups to have a nice warm tone and lots of sustain for clean rythym and lead. Also possibly ones with very low noise, or none at all.

thanks

Try Bill Lawrence pickups. They sell several single coil pickups, totally noiseless. They are as quiet as humbuckers. They still sound very single coil. He designed the current SCN pickups for Fender. I have a set in my Strat that I assembled. I am very happy. They run about $40 each. It looks like the site is under construction so here are some links. Also Harmony central has reviews on his pickups and other makers also.

http://www.billlawrence.com/

Here is a board devoted to Bill Lawrence products.

http://pub123.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm8

thanks

Try Bill Lawrence pickups. They sell several single coil pickups, totally noiseless. They are as quiet as humbuckers. They still sound very single coil. He designed the current SCN pickups for Fender. I have a set in my Strat that I assembled. I am very happy. They run about $40 each. It looks like the site is under construction so here are some links. Also Harmony central has reviews on his pickups and other makers also.

http://www.billlawrence.com/

Here is a board devoted to Bill Lawrence products.

http://pub123.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm8

SCN's aren't very warm pickups at all, much less the rest of the BL line.

Like I said, the EMG-SA pickups would sound good in that application. You might also consider the Duncan Classic Stack or DiMarzio HS-2.

I'm torn. I've researched all of them. The all look good, but I haven't played any of them, so I don't know what to do. I like how the Bill Lawrence ones are cheap. I've had good luck with EMG in the past but I still don't know. I've never used dimarzio I don't want loud booming output. I just want a warm tone with good sustain, sounds good clean and slightly distorted and has low noise.....perhaps I'll flip a coin.....a three sided coin.....

Edited by metallisomething