How to connect neck?

today i had a little trouble with bolting on the neck to one of the guitars...mine came out fine but my friends didnt...so we filled the holes...what process do you guys use when figuring out how to bolt on? thanks

ps were almost done! pics soon!

well we had the scale length perfect...had the string paths looking good..but then we put little nails in the holes on the neck to mark for the holes...and it worked fine on mine...but then we drilled his and bolted on the neck...and the scale was off and it wasnt straight..so the string paths were screwed up..we doweled the holes so were back to point A...so how do you guys do it?

thanks

I clamp the neck into the pocket and put the 1st and 6th strings on to set the neck.

006-SettingTheNeck.jpg

I tap with the actual screws I'm going to use though, not a nail. Usually just a little finger pressure will work to mark it.

I drill with a drill press. I would not want to do this by eye.

When attaching the neck I clamp again, put the 1st and 6th strings on and make sure everything looks good before putting the screws in. Then... I screw with everything in place (stop giggling).

With all the screws in, the clamps come off, the 4 other strings go on and I tune it up. I've done this a few times now and it always works for me.

i guess i'm a little odd, i find the center of the neck clamp a long ruler to the neck, and then clamp the neck in the pocket and wiggle the neck till it's perfectly alinged with the center line of the body. then i put on another clamp on the joint and make sure both are snug, flip the guitar over where there is already 4 predrilled holes in the guitar body, and just use some little wood screws. Then once i make sure the neck is aligned one at a time i'll replace the little wood screws with the correct neck wood screws, and predrill if required. This probably won't work on painted bodies though :D i guess i'm just a center line fenatic B)

i guess i'm a little odd, i find the center of the neck clamp a long ruler to the neck, and then clamp the neck in the pocket and wiggle the neck till it's perfectly alinged with the center line of the body. then i put on another clamp on the joint and make sure both are snug, flip the guitar over where there is already 4 predrilled holes in the guitar body, and just use some little wood screws. Then once i make sure the neck is aligned one at a time i'll replace the little wood screws with the correct neck wood screws, and predrill if required. This probably won't work on painted bodies though :D i guess i'm just a center line fenatic B)

It also won't work if you've goofed up the center line like I did.

Oops, you weren't supposed to know about that. :D