Applying Full Body Decals

cukaracha

Hi. are there any tips/precautions i should take when applying a full-body decal? also, what is the best way to cut the decal (it won't be the exact shape of the guitar body, so i have to trim the edges) and how should i go about applying the decal? do i start at the bottom strap pin area and slowly work my way up or what?

thx...

i realize that this question is an extremely dumb and seemingly asked by a retard for people of such superior inteligance such as yours, and so i humbly bow my knee to your evident superiority just to ask you this one question. is it so hard to take some time to answer such a simple question?

Since you asked so nice......

I would cut a paper pattern of what the decal needs to be cut like and then transfer to the decal and cut. If this is a vinyl decal I would use a small amount of soap and water to allow the decal to be positioned perfectly before squeeging it down. If you use water I would use a blow dyer to warm the decal and get it to stick well before removing the application paper from the top of the decal ( if there is any )

Since you asked so nice......

I would cut a paper pattern of what the decal needs to be cut like and then transfer to the decal and cut. If this is a vinyl decal I would use a small amount of soap and water to allow the decal to be positioned perfectly before squeeging it down. If you use water I would use a blow dyer to warm the decal and get it to stick well before removing the application paper from the top of the decal ( if there is any )

Thx for the reply. i really appreciate it.. :D

i saw it but didnt reply because i have no clue off the materials you are working with - what sort of decal is it?

to be honest, i'm not sure myself.. i'm guessing its either a water slide decal or the type that people use on cars..

Knowing what type of decal is important. You need to ask the person who supplied it. If it is a water slide decal you will need to clearcoat it to make it last. water slide decal are only adhered to the surface with cornstarch and not durable without topcoating. If it is a printed vinyl decal like used on car wraps and signs it should have a clear laminate over the printed surface.

don't know if this will help, but i'm bringing my image to some shop to get it printed into a decal, so i'm guessing that its a printed vinyl decal. any tips/advice/precautions i should know about these things?

I have a vinyl cutter in my shop that I use for paint masks, decals, headstock logo's, ect... Here is how I approach a full body decal:

I take a straight on digital pic of the guitar body. I then trace it in a CAD software, edit the desired image to fit in the outline of the body, cut the decal, and apply it. The application is best done with a mist of water on the body & on the sticky side of the decal (this will give you the ability to "float" it into position). Squeegee it out, and on to clear coat, and you are done.

If you plan on clearing over top of the decal, I would shy away from "printed vinyl" decals. They dont wear very well, And, some clear coats can smear the ink. You may be able to get a sample piece to see how it holds up to clear coats. Hope that helps....

BTW- Not everyone on the forum checks every topic on a daily basis. There is a lot of knowledge & experience on PG. A little more patients, and a little less sarcasm would probably get you more replies. :D

Thx for all the replies. i really appreciate it. but i have just one more question:

should i cut out the holes for the cavities BEFORE applying the vinyl or AFTER ??

If you plan on clearing over top of the decal, I would shy away from "printed vinyl" decals. They dont wear very well, And, some clear coats can smear the ink. You may be able to get a sample piece to see how it holds up to clear coats. Hope that helps....

I don't understand.. what should i do then? and what if i'm using a water slide decal? would it be ok to clear coat it?

Edited by cukaracha

I havent done a lot with waterslides, but from what I understand, you can clear them with no problem. As far as cutting holes for pups, pots & switches, I always cut them after the decal is applied.

One good way to learn is by trial & error. Get some waterslide paper, scrap wood, and some decal material, and experiment with it. Try different ways of applying them, and different clear coats.

I havent done a lot with waterslides, but from what I understand, you can clear them with no problem. As far as cutting holes for pups, pots & switches, I always cut them after the decal is applied.

One good way to learn is by trial & error. Get some waterslide paper, scrap wood, and some decal material, and experiment with it. Try different ways of applying them, and different clear coats.

Gotcha! :D Thanks a lot man.. you've really helped.. :D