My First Acoustic Build A Reso Squareneck

Update,

I cut out the soundholes. After I tried about 20+ variations, I found what looked best to me, kinda sexy in my thinking :D Not the traditional sound holes, but they have more volumectric area, appoximately 20% more than the traditional round ones. Now my question to you all. The worm holes (yes, that's why they call it ambrosia maple due to the ambrosia worm) look closely on the top, there are (6) six of them. I'm thinking about filling them with side dot markers? What do you think? I would really like some opinions on this? It might look cool then again kinda hokey?

link

Thanks

MK

Edited by MiKro

Update,

I cut out the soundholes. After I tried about 20+ variations, I found what looked best to me, kinda sexy in my thinking :D Not the traditional sound holes, but they have more volumectric area, appoximately 20% more than the traditional round ones. Now my question to you all. The worm holes (yes, that's why they call it ambrosia maple due to the ambrosia worm) look closely on the top, there are (6) six of them. I'm thinking about filling them with side dot markers? What do you think? I would really like some opinions on this? It might look cool then again kinda hokey?

link

Thanks

MK

Wow, the step by step pics are excellents ! Great job MK, congrats !

Update,

link

Thanks

MK

Interesting, I didn't see them at first. Good job the worm ate its way straight forward so your holes are bookmatched too.

I owuld be tempted to either leave them (depending on the finish), you could sell them as special tone holes, dug by a specific size work to increase the resonance of an F# :D

Failing that, then something contrasting I would say, either mahogany or metal in my humblist opinion.

Wow, the step by step pics are excellents ! Great job MK, congrats !
Thx Andro

Wow! Great looking build. Very clean work. On a side note...does your buddy have any pictures of that work bench? I dig the table saw/ router table thing.
Thx Jer,

The workbench table saw thingy is mine. The only pics of my friends shop are the side bending shots. I haven't built my bender yet.

Here's a link to my shop

shop

the sound holes flow nice with the wood markings.
Thx Weston

Interesting, I didn't see them at first. Good job the worm ate its way straight forward so your holes are bookmatched too.

I owuld be tempted to either leave them (depending on the finish), you could sell them as special tone holes, dug by a specific size work to increase the resonance of an F# :D

Failing that, then something contrasting I would say, either mahogany or metal in my humblist opinion.

I know those worms did a great job :D I did think about leaving them as well. So I'll see what more have to say and see what trips my light fantastic when the time comes B)

Thanks TM

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

As you know I started what was to be a square neck dobro back in November. After MANY MANY hours of trying to play a borrowed SQNk I have found that it does'nt work for me so, I changed my build to a round neck after the mods to round neck I strung up the guitar.

It had a wonderful voice. Unfortunately, I could not play it as a roundneck using the spider bridge. It sounded great using a slide only, but would not fret because the action was just to high. That being said, I thought I would destroy what would make a very nice guitar by any other actions by me of lowering the bridge,cone and cover. So I decided to remove the neck, not as much trouble as I thought but somewhat. Before doing so I measured and found that a 2 1/2 degree neck angle should solve my problems (I hoped).

So I removed the neck, made some jigs and reinstalled the neck. Not much change though, the neck move improved (somewhat) the problems. But in all not worth the trouble. So I have declared this project DEAD.

I have since removed the neck and the top, salvaged the fretboard, back and sides. Otherwise the rest is firewood and I will move forward with a new project at this time. Thanks for listening to my rambling and I hope your projects do not fall prey to the gremlins mine has.

Mike

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a pisser, it was looking great.

Thanks TM,

The reality of it though is a no go , so now it's history. Yes it was a nice looking piece but a wall hanger was not what I intended. :D

so I'll see if I can raise the Phoenix in a different fashion at some later time.

MK

• 2 weeks later...
man that sucks mike. It was looking so great when I was over there. Sorry to hear about this.

Sorry for the delay in response, Thanks Weston, but it just didn't work out. Come by sometime and BS with me. Hope all is well at your house?

Mike