Preventing Nitro From Cracking?

OK. So I have this problem and need some advice if possible.

I have painted a couple bodies with Nitro and every time I start screwing the pickguard, pick-ups and other hardware the lacquer starts chipping and falling apart around the edges of the screw hole. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? :D

I also have been arguing with a friend about the importance of getting the whole instrument together and see if everything fits perfectly before painting, but he argues that it is the same as the chipping occurs anyway. I just remember from my aficionado car repair days that any pieces had to be tested in their place before painting.

Some one also told me it might be the lacquer´s fault as most luthiers here use imported lacquers instead of the national (spanish) brands, but lacquer is lacquer. Isn't it?

Thanks a lot for any help/advice :D

Germ

Yes...use a drill bit the same size of the screw holes to clean ot the holes before you drive in the screw(use the bit by hand,not in a drill.)

I'll do that! Thanks a lot.

I still have problems thought as the lacquer seems to have problems bonding to the guitar body. This is driving me nuts. I'm off to read all painting/finish posts as I possibly can but I have 2 more fret dressings to do today before calling it quits here at the shop :D

Thanks again for the advice.

Well. In the end the whole finish started to fall apart! It seems there was something wrong in the formula or the mix. I don't know for sure but the finish applied after the sanding sealer just started lifting at the slightest bumb :D

One good thing is. I didn't like the way the finish came out (blue burst) so I get another chance to screw it up B)

Also. I ordered the Stew Mac book about finishing you recommended in another thread. I wanted the videos but they are only available in VHS :D I haven't had a VCR in years. I wrote them to ask if they were going to change the format to DVD but replied they had no idea when they would but certainly not in the near future. Maybe we should all rally and collect signatures for the change B)

Anyway. Thanks again for the help and advice :D

Just out of curiosity, what sanding sealer are you using and how much/what process? It almost sounds like you're having an adhesion issues between the sealer and laquer. Maybe a different sealer or tie coat might help you out a bit? Best of luck to you, keep us posted. J

Edited by jmrentis

Just out of curiosity, what sanding sealer are you using and how much/what process? It almost sounds like you're having an adhesion issues between the sealer and laquer. Maybe a different sealer or tie coat might help you out a bit? Best of luck to you, keep us posted. J

I used the same sealer brand as the clear. I am using a local brand named "Monto" and this has only happened so far in one guitar (the very first I painted) so I am working up the whole process from scratch.

We'll see what comes out of this. So far what I've got. Only have applied dyes and one layer of sanding sealer.

dscf0465lv1.jpg

Later. :D

not too sure about this one, but how long did you let the nitro cure? because nitro needs like about 1 month to fully cure.

I buffed it 3 weeks after the last layer. I have read all possible articles from Drak, Mr Calvert, and others around here plus other articles and books and will follow a different approach now. I did a bass body and it will be ready for buffing next week. I hope it goes well. I followed another procedure from a do it yourself e-book I bought and it seems to be doing fine so far :D We'll see next week.