Floating Bridge Won't Stay In Tune

xaghce

I have a floating style bridge and locking nut and my strings stay in tune quite well.

EXCEPT when I use my trembolo arm!

The tension tends to stick either more or less tense depending on which way I bent the trembolo arm last.

I've tried adjusting the spring tension, claw tension and number of springs, but I can't seem to get it right.

btw, I have no trouble leveling the bridge.

What should I do?

It feels stupid to have the perfect tools and not b able to use them.

Thanks!!

I have a floating style bridge and locking nut and my strings stay in tune quite well.

EXCEPT when I use my trembolo arm!

The tension tends to stick either more or less tense depending on which way I bent the trembolo arm last.

I've tried adjusting the spring tension, claw tension and number of springs, but I can't seem to get it right.

btw, I have no trouble leveling the bridge.

What should I do?

It feels stupid to have the perfect tools and not b able to use them.

Thanks!!

i dont see how its not staying in tune if you have the nut locked down. what kind of saddles does it have? is it a double locking bridge? i dont think spring tension would have anything to do with it.

when the bridge moves w/ the trembolo arm, it doesn't go back to the original place, so all the strings become out of tune.

I'm using a head crasher bridge.

It's basically like a floyd rose where u don't have to cut off the ball ends of the strings to attach them. So yes, all the fine adjustments to tuning are done w/ screws on the bridge.

when the bridge moves w/ the trembolo arm, it doesn't go back to the original place, so all the strings become out of tune.

I'm using a head crasher bridge.

It's basically like a floyd rose where u don't have to cut off the ball ends of the strings to attach them. So yes, all the fine adjustments to tuning are done w/ screws on the bridge.

So it's basically a speed loader?

Sounds like you need new springs, or a new bridge or nut, work out whats causing the problem.

I have never used a floyd rose style bridge that returns to the absolute correct pitch when using the tremelo, i wouldn't expect it to.

The nut is brand new. The bridge is the on that came w/ the body. I've tried switching the springs but that doesn't seem to solve anything.

Neither the claw nor the springs are touching the wood.

I don't expect everything to stay perfectly in tune w/ a lot trem arm use, but...

The pitch difference is not small, it's enough to either make all the strings go completely flat or completely sharp. The bridge just seems to stick in whatever position the trembolo arm pushed it into last.

I'm getting tired of taking things apart and readjusting and retuning, but If you guys have any more ideas I'd really appreciate them! I wanna give it one more try b4 I take it into the shop!

give it a tap in the opposite direction of the last use, its not practical in all situations but it can help alot.

you could always set it up for dive only, (a la van halen) then even when you break a string the others will still be in tune, and you can (for example) tune to drop d without having to readjust the other strings

What the hell!All of these comments from supposed "experienced" guys and you are all just guessing?

the knife edges are worn out,dude.It is VERY common,and any experienced repair guy or anyone with any experience at all should have been able to tell you that.

Alot of floyd style bridges are made from nontempered steel,so the knife edges(the part of the bridge that rides against the studs) quickly become flattened,and cause exactly what you describe.

I am sorry you had to wade through all of this "guessing" before you got a real answer.

No it does not sound like a speedloader,it sounds like one of the really old,really cheap units that used to come on kamen and similar instruments.unfortunately the lack of trem blocks to do away with the ball ends does not help.

I suggest trying to retrofit an original floyd or a schaller.

If you did make sure the tension springs are not touching the body of the guitar in the trem rout. If the springs are dragging on the wood, it can cause that problem.

This is also a possibility,but not nearly as likely as knife edges being dull.

+1 Wes.

I was trying to figure out why this was not the very first suggestion. Go with the simple common answers first, then if doesn't work try the less common problems. Along with the knife edges, check the posts, they may be worn moreso than the edges. Usually it is the edges, but occasionally the posts can be the problem.

Xaghce- A locking floating trem will stay in tune as well as any other bridge. Look at what Steve Vai does to his trems. As long as the bridge is on proper working condition, set up properly, and you stretch the strings well before locking them in, you should have no problems. There are players who flat out abuse their trem and still stay in tune.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks!

posts and knife edges are a little more difficult to fix tho, haha :D ;;

A lot better solution than... moving the bridge back into place after using the trem... *cough*

It's 1 AM here, so I'll take things apart and check for wear tomorrow.

Yeah, replacing the bridge would b a real problem. Like I said, it's not a floyd rose, it's a weird Japanese (I live in Japan) quasi floating bridge (that I like a lot). The body isn't cut for a regular style floating bridge, and it would defeat the purpose of me owning a guitar if I had to use a bridge that didn't lock w/ my locking nut.

Speaking of which, any suggestions for websites that have good selections of bridges? just to browse and all...

Edited by xaghce