Spray Gun Cleaning Solvent

Finally i'll spray next after needing a little more time for final shaping. When I spray my guitar, while it's drying I won't be using the gun for about 30-45 minutes in between coats. Should I clean the gun during that time lapse & how long before I put more paint back into the paint cup which is attached to the top of the gun. Also what would you recommend as a cleaner. I saw some spray gun cleaner at my local Sherwin-Williams Auto store but by-passed as I was told any paint thinner should do it. Is this true?

Edited by carlosnelson

Finally i'll spray next after needing a little more time for final shaping. When I spray my guitar, while it's drying I won't be using the gun for about 30-45 minutes in between coats. Should I clean the gun during that time lapse & how long before I put more paint back into the paint cup which is attached to the top of the gun. Also what would you recommend as a cleaner. I saw some spray gun cleaner at my local Sherwin-Williams Auto store but by-passed as I was told any paint thinner should do it. Is this true?

Yes, definitely clean the gun during those large gaps between coats. Laquer thinner will clean any finish you'll spray. Just use some gloves around it, as it's not healthy to get solvent on your skin. I keep a 5 gallon drum of the stuff in my shop so that if my shop should catch on fire, it will be occompanied by a large explosion. :D