Who are ya?

Every day when I'm in this forum I think "mmm... nows here's alot of people that really should be working and not playing on the net", I take it most of you are at work anyway! :D

So I've decided to ask you all who you are, where ya from and what should you be doing?

I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade, but I'm working (if thats the word) as a draftsman. I sit in the corner of the office so no one can see my screen and play on the net for most of the day, before leaving half an hour early every night. I'm aspiring to get the sack. B)

I'm an Electrician by trade that specializes in PLC programming. PLC's are like bare bones computers that run machines and processes. I work at a cheese plant (imagine that!) in central Wisconsin.

I've been out of work for a month because of knee surgery which allowed me PLENTY of time to surf and find this great site. Problem is I go back to work on Monday. B) I don't have much time to surf at work (even though I have my own office) but I will check in frequently in the evenings.

This site ROCKS!!!!!!!! :D

Ooooh man I feel for ya. I've had a few operations on my knees and they tend to hurt like hell. Had a Tibial Tubural Transfer last time, thats where they split down the length of your shin, move it across a bit and then bolt it back together. Ouch.

Good luck back at work dude. Missed it? :D

Yeah, I missed it alright! I've been trying to figure out a way to NEVER go back to work for someone else. Someday maybe I'll find that thing that allows me to "work" at home doing what I love to do. Actually I'm hoping to gain enough experience to build guitars for a living. A dozen guitars a year at $8-10,000 each. I could handle that........Hey, I'm allowed to dream! :D

As far as my knees, this is operation #3 for me. I was (un)fortunate enough to get osteoarthritis at a nice young age and spent too much time doing the 20+ mile a day running thing to completely trash them. I'm only 39 and have the knees of an 80 year old - at least that's how they feel. My only consolation is that it's not rheumatoid arthritis. RA can cripple you in 2 years. I'm still fortunate enough to be able to walk around with a limp and some pain, and when they get bad enough they can hack them out and put some fancy new composite knees in there for me.

I feel for ya mate. Got to back to the consultant in January. They're on about replacing both my knees too and I'm only 24. Used to be very handy at football (soccer to you yanks) and basketball but none of that anymore. I've even got to plan going to shop incase I can't make it back. B)

Still gives me an excuse to sit on my arse and drink beer all day :D

It's like kindergarten! "tell us your name and a little about yourself"

I'm 36, I live in San Francisco, I'm married (to a woman), and I'm really into mountain biking and scuba diving.

I'm an Architectural designer, and I'm in the process of taking my boards to become a licensed architect. I've been self-employed for 4 years (a few of them actually gainfully!) I work on residential projects, and I also have a computer modeling business

http://cmrstudio.net/

and I also own a web based business.

so I have the freedom to allot my time as I please - and there are a thousand things I should be doing instead of this!

I've made some kit and parts guitars, and restored a bunch of guitars, and I'm "I can build it" man. I was planning a Warmoth guitar project, when I decided that I really don't care for any of the traditional guitar shapes. So why don't I design my own? I've got design skills and woodworking skills, and access to a killer shop. I've been really focused on this for the last 3 months, reading and trying to absorb as much as I can for the first guitar. The wood is ordered and on it's way!

-Sven

I'm from Evansville, Indiana. I'm currently unemployed and have been for about three months .. unfortunately, I'm quickly running out of money [no thanks to you people!] so I'll have to get a job soon.

I'm a senior at the University of Southern Indiana, majoring in economics. Come fall of 2004 I'll [hopefully] be going to grad school to pursue a PhD in economics.

What should I be doing now instead of building a guitar and reading this site? Oh, homework mostly. And getting a job. But honestly, who wants to do either of those things? :D

I draw pictures. The pictures then get made into water systems, parks, roads, and other such things. I havent had surgery on my knees yet but at the ripe age of 18 I was diagnosed with RA. Dont have much cartilage in my thumbs anmore but it doesnt hurt anymore thanks to genetically engineered drugs that work much better that eating 60mg of prednisone a day for way too long.

I ended up here because I thought since I make my own amps I might as well build a guitar someday to even though I really suck at playing.

I ended up here because I thought since I make my own amps I might as well build a guitar someday to even though I really suck at playing.

hey, that sounds familiar... I built two amps of my own and after that I decided I'd get into building guitars.

And I suck at playing too!!!

I am 47 and fairly new to the forum. I used to be a tug captain. Too many knee injuries stops me from doing that anymore. So, I do nothing-well almost nothing. I play all the time and build or think of building guitars when I'm not reading the forum. I live in Washington and spend a lot of time indoors cause the rain. LOL. Soon as I get some web space I will post my pics of my last project. It is the Strat copy in the avatar. It is mahogany with marbled cloth and polyurethane finish. The neck is an old Bogie Bodies neck that I built while spending time at their shop building my first guitar. :D

I'm a graphic designer, so I'm at the computer all the time, so I can slip onto the forum often. My knees are in good shape, but I do have the lack of chops suckatude problem. My next problem is really a good news/bad news deal. I am about to take a job that should pay really well after being self-employed (and not so well paid) for a few years. The money will allow me to afford more wood, hardware, etc, but the amount of time I'll be able to spend building/on the web will shrink. Oh well, count my blessings, right?

I'm 37 and new to the forum. I am also married. I am a Services Technician for the telephone company. (more commonly know as a "repairman") I am new to building custom guitars. I have customized some guitars in the past but never built any from yhe ground up. I would love to be able to build custom guitars for a living. My first project is going to be my version of an Ynwie Malmsteen style guitar with the scalloped neck and the works. It being my first "project", it will probably take a while to complete.

Hey we should start playing the name game. You have to say a word about yourself that starts with the same letter as your first name. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Mine would be Mustard Mike cause my name is mike and I like mustard. Especially goudons spicy brown!

I live in MA, 27 years old, Used to build web sites in NYC but instead moved up to MA to be with girlfriend and have become an art teacher. Had to go back to school to be a teacher which is taking up a lot of my guitar building time. Trying to build a PRS type and Hendrix copy right now. Going slow very slow.

I guess I'm pretty much a foreigner here...

My name is Al and I'm from the Philippines. I'm 26, and currently taking my Master's degree in Environmental Science here.

I've been lurking here for months and I've got to thank you all for what I've learned. I'm shopping around for stuff I need to assemble a custom strat. But guys, do you have any idea how difficult it is to find guitar parts around here? :D

But that's ok... B)

i am 31 years old.. i married..

my job is computer programming. develop with java, php, asp, delphi, Unix-C

guitar making is my habby ^^