Ah My Epiphone Sg Just Fell

Where is the chip? If it's on the body, then don't waste your time worrying about exposed wood. It's not going to cause the wood to dramatically change moisture content and warp or anything like that. Chances are the sealer is still in tact anyhow.

Care to provide a picture?

peace,

russ

the chip is were my arm meets the guitar basicly. and i think the sealer might ahve come off to. i can feel the wood. i would leave it alone if it was somewere else on the guitar( there are a few chips in other places) but when i play at shows or osmthing i tend to sweat. and its literaly right were my arm meets the guitar when i play. should i put just a dab of sealer back on it? i really dont care about matching hte paint at this stage. my brothers girlfriend is an autobody tech. she is good at repairs to. i was thinking of asking her for a little bit of sealer and maybe just a dab of the closes paint we can match. sound good or am i way off? someone also mentioned superglue as a sealer on another site.

Personally I would avoid superglue for your situation. I could be wrong, but if there is no sealer on there and you apply superglue, I don't know that you'll ever be able to match the finish in that area because the wood will soak up the superglue and never quite absorb another finish the same as the rest of the body. I believe superglue works in cases where you have chips in the clear coat like with polyester and maybe urethane, as a drop fill method, but I don't think it would be wise in this case. Again, I can't offer this as concrete advice, but at least for now avoid superglue until such time you find some better advice from more experienced finishers. Best of luck and Tool rocks, fav. band! J

Edited by jmrentis

thanks man. ill talk to my bros girlfriend and hope som1 else posts and knows what to do. i dont want the wood to get exposed to sweat all the time. im hoping a dab of sealer will touch it up. i dont care if it matchs really. its hard on me because this was my first guitar. and it plays so well. yea tool does rock. i luckly got 2 see them twice

I believe you could dab some sanding sealer on there without much consequence. Even with sealer often times wood will still feel close to the same, just smoother. Often when the paint chips, its chips above the sealer which is why Russ mentioned that it still may have the sealer on it, but if you feel it doesn't I think you'd be alright to add some sanding sealer to prevent any possible moisture from entering the wood. Thats what you do to prep for a finish anyhow, so it should be fine.

I've actually seen Tool twice as well, one each from the last two tours, sadly I missed the latest tour in my home town. There is one final date in LA that I may be able to make, but it sold out super quick so the tickets are pricey and it'd be a very tough trip for me because of my health issues, but I may still go. I really like the new album a lot too, so I'd be bummed if I missed it, especially since I've seen concerts of the last two albums.

Have you heard of Puscifer yet? Its Maynards own side project and is pretty trippy stuff. Its different, some will like it, some will not. I happen to like it. The site basically has all the songs playing from the album, so you can hear them, plus it has all the random songs Maynard has done outside of Tool, like the 3 little pigs song by Green Jello, a song with him and David Bowie and a song of him and tori amos. It even has some songs from A perfect circle. Anyhow, if you haven't heard of or seen it yet, it worth checking out to see if you like it, puscifer.com J

yea i dont want to sand it and get it painted. im going to check out the sanding sealer and maybe just put a little on to keep mosture out. if it was anywere else i wouldent be worried but i kno that when i am done with a gig my guitar is soaked with sweat. i would rather be safe then sorry lol

the first time i saw tool i bot general admiss tickets. i thought about going to the pit but the show wasnt going to start for like an hour when i got there so i grabed the closest seats to the stage. i ended up sitting 4 rows away from the stage. i could see everything perfectly. best show i ever saw. they played for a little longer then 2 hours. it was up in new hampshire and teh show didnt even sell out! iv hurd of puscifer its a little weird. but i only hurd one song im sure ill like the rest. thanks alot guys you have been real helpful

Puscifer is actually really weird and a big departure from all other Tool related bands. There is a lot to the songs sound wise, so I don't get the full effect of the music in my car, which actually has a decent system, so I prefer some headphones or on my computer to listen to it. Like I said its far from Tool, so you may just not like it at all. The Puscifer site plays all the songs from the album which is cool, so you can figure if you like it before buying. He's a weird dude all around, my buddy just told me what the name of his winery means, which I had no idea and I had to laugh because its just weird and something you would actually expect from that dude. Merkin vineyards.

I can't believe (but nor can I disbelieve) that Maynard was the falsetto doing the "not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin" bit in that Green Jelly song. Or that Danny Carey drummed for them. Or that Opiate was recorded in the Green Jelly loft.

Let the scheduled program continue...

Man oh man, Danny Carey is a bad mofo. I believe Maynard was in a movie also, called Sleeping Dogs Lie(2006). I have yet to see it, so I can't verify that, but I believe its true. I actually didn't know that Opiate was recorded in the Green Jelly loft, interesting stuff. J

Edited by jmrentis