Bushings and bolts for bolt-on neck...

Thanks guys...but I still need the screws & bushings.

I'm going for something that's in-between the Erlwine and Stewart guitars. More like the Erlwine version, but headless with removable bolt-on neck and 25.5 inch scale. If all goes well, it should be about as long as the Erlwine version (28" total). It should fit fine in a carry-on bag (this assumes I could get it through airport security).

It will also be my first try at a bunch of stuff I've always wanted to do; dyed carved figured maple drop-top over mahogany, making my own maple neck with ebony fingerboard, bound body, inlaid fretboard. I figure if I screw things up, WTH it's just a travel guitar and not much wood involved. It will have 3 single coil MIM Fender pups I've got lying around, 5-way switch, one volume knob.

http://www.vintique.com/necks.html sells a kit complete with threaded inserts and neck plate. You can buy the threaded brass inserts at some hardware stores for a lot less than the vintique kit. These are a little tricky to install. The holes need to be very accurately drilled and sized, the inserts want to go in crooked, and the brass will break if you're not careful with your screwdriver. A drill-press is helpful, and carefully select the screwdriver you use to install them. I'd try it on a test piece before messing up a neck.

-Sven

Thanks funkle...I've got access to a good drill press and about 20 different screwdrivers at work. My problem so far is that the screw-bushing combos that are sold at my hardware store (the Depot) have screw heads that are not countersink heads, and so would stand off from the neck plate.

I guess I'll have to think outside the box...like purchasing the screws separately...<sigh>...it's all so difficult...<whine>...I need to call my mom....<sniff>....

• 3 weeks later...

That looks quite easy to me. Yet, 30 dineros for 4 tiny pieces of metal seems a bit odd to me, but if they're custom made, they're understandably priced. I wonder if they make them in custom threading sizes for use with differently threaded screws (read metric threadings)

so long

ace

P.S.: mysubdirectory/myhtmlfile... :D

That looks quite easy to me. Yet, 30 dineros for 4 tiny pieces of metal seems a bit odd to me, but if they're custom made, they're understandably priced.

Yeah, $30 is cheaper than the $100 for the Vintique that was originally posted. I thought the pictures might be helpful for those do-it-yourselfer's that have access to a machine shop.