Choosing Build #1

Choosing Build #1  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi people,

I new to this guitar building stuff but thanks to people on here, I'm inspired to build A guitar! Whoopedoo!!

So I'm going to make this clear because this is my first Project I won't be building it form Scratch. I've gathered together some idea's and stuff:

• Okay Firstly I fancy doing a Les Paul, but with Prices of Mahogany and Maple So high, I might give It a miss!
  • I also want to build a tele, Ihave a few different Ideas, Check Them Out to!
  • And Finally, I fancy doing a Strat, Olympic white!

I need some help choosing a Design. My Favourites are the Stained Tele (green And black with EMG's but is it too difficult), I also like the tele in butterscotch and The idea of a white Relic Strat (no Picture)!!

Hmm... I guess it's (probably) narrowed the poll down to three!

EMG Tele

'52 Tele

Sorry No Picture of A white RELIC BUT iM SURE YOU GET THE IDEA!

Build a Strat!. Strats are fun to build. I have built both Les Pauls and Strats and i must say Strats are easier to build. I am not talking about buying the neck and body and just slapping it together. Although i have done that to and the instrument was awesome.

IF you are going to use pre made bodies etc make sure you use good hardware. I like Gotoh tunners and wilkinson bridges and a good nut. Guitars can rise and fall on hardware.

I hope i have been some help.

Yeah, I was going to use high quality hardware.

How difficult is it to build stuff from scratch - I mean like to me building a neck sounds IMPOSSIBLE :D but a body sounds feasable :D !! I will consider building a body B) ,but as a total newb to building, I might stick to just "finishing it"

Cheers,

Edited by For-The-Love-Of-Music

Getting really good prices on stuff from warmoth at the moment because of the exchange rate if you really ant to do it from parts but i say do a lot of reading and go for a from scratch build. Either a strat or a tele is a good place to start because they are quite basic - especially if you skip the trem off the strat.

I wouldnt bother with a relic yet, its a whole other set of skills to learn

Do a lot of reading and go for a from scratch build. Either a strat or a tele is a good place to start because they are quite basic

I wouldnt bother with a relic yet, its a whole other set of skills to learn

Yeah I suppose theres no point in doing a relic an learning that aswell! I'm going to do a tele of some sort now (i think anyway) andI shall have to think about going from scratch I might do a body from scratch! But to me a neck from scratch sounds a bit too complicated (is it not)!

:D

Anyone Know how to get a finish like this!

2043230331_09ed8cd5ce_o.jpg

On Kisakae it's a stain. Lower layer Green,Upper layer (grain) Black, it looks like a Burnt Finish to me though! I read up on Burnt finishes and stains and read the tutorials but I'm wondering how to get the black so Black and green so solid!

If we use the Kisakae model:If the green is solid how does the black sink through! Surely it Can't go through! Or can it? ( I Guess it's just because It's a model sim!

My thoery on getting it with a burnt finish:Does stain or whatever avoid Burnt patches beacause if so I think i've got it sussed! But then How do I get the green Solid? Oh dear, Bamboozled (again)!

Cheers in advance,

• 1 year later...

It wouldn't be the same, but I think the closest you could get would be to lightly dye it black, then sand it so that the dye is only left in the grain, then dye it green.

Edit: Changed it to "dye" so no one would have to correct me =P

A tele would be a good first build anyways, since they are relatively easy.

Edited by Keegan

I'd probably go for the LP or the EMG Telecaster. Normally I don't like teles, but with an ebony fretboard, TOM bridge, EMGs, and the finish the way you have it drawn, it looks great.

I found that building a neck is not all that hard, mine turned out just fine.... Just be sure to pick out good wood (I've had a bad experience, just check out my threads).

Also, Mahogany and maple prices aren't too bad. I buy my wood from a store called rockler;you should see if you have one near you. I could get enough genuine mahogany for a body black for less than 50 bucks. It would be even cheaper with African mahogany, which was recently on sale for 4 bucks a board foot. Maple there is about 2-3 dollars a board foot, and they have some nice pieces for laminates that are perfect sized. If your talking figured maple, yeah, prices are high. But you could still make a killer LP with a top made from something else... maybe bloodwood, bubinga, or wenge-- some of my favorites.

Last time I was there they also had some beautiful pieces of kingwood (perfect size for necks) and Argentinean Lignum vitae (heaviest wood on earth, but *probably* a good fretboard material). I personally am obsessed with pretty exotic woods, and I think any would make a great top, maybe even better than figured maple. :D

But regardless of what you decide on, Happy Guitarbuilding!