Floyd Rose Scale

i just checked the stew mac calculator, and for a floyd bridge and a 25" scale, it says its supposed to be placed at 24.449". thats more than half an inch. which screws me becuase i diddnt plan on it being a whole 1/2 shorter and already had the bridge placed on 25. the saddles are moved all the way up, and the closest i can come is within an 1/8 of an inch. any ideas to help me still get away with this? thanks

So, you placed the top most screws of the floyd at 25" or did you line up the spot where the strings meet the saddles at 25"? If you lined up the saddles at 25" you should be perfectly fine, but it sounds like this isn't the case, which would leave you the 1/2 inch short. Is this a set neck or bolt on? I'll go check your other thread, but it would help if others knew which type of neck it was. Best of luck. J

So, you placed the top most screws of the floyd at 25" or did you line up the spot where the strings meet the saddles at 25"? If you lined up the saddles at 25" you should be perfectly fine, but it sounds like this isn't the case, which would leave you the 1/2 inch short. Is this a set neck or bolt on? I'll go check your other thread, but it would help if others knew which type of neck it was. Best of luck. J

nothing is drilled yet. just the trem cavities. it will be a set neck, but the neck is not ready. i just now put up a 25" scale fretboard on the body to see where it lines up, and it is dead on at 25. i cant move the floyd up anymore beucase it hits he end of the rout. i could cut the fretboard down to a 21 fret, but id rather not. at the most i can do will be not having a extra part of the fretboard past the 22 fret and have the 22nd be flush with the mounting ring. but with all the moving ive done i cant get it any closer than within 1/8 of an inch.

AT first I assumed bolt on and realized it probably wasn't hence the question. However, seeing as you haven't glued it in yet, you may still have some options, though I am unsure exactly. My initial though when I was thinking bolt on was to cut the neck pocket 1/2 inch longer. You could just realign the template, but move it down a half inch, so the bottom of the neck pocket get routed 1/2 inch more, this will in turn move your nut 1/2 closer to the floyd and give you the room for proper intonation/saddle adjustment. Its just a thought though, I'd assume you could take a 1/2 inch off the heel as well, either way I'd imagine it would solve the problem, though you need to watch neck angle when changing anything here. Depending on where you are at and what you have done, this seems as though it would work, but I cannot be certain unless I had it in front of me, especially since I'm in the middle of my finals and my brain hurts. A 1/2 inch isn't too drastic to change, but I would wait and see if there are better ideas, personally, if I could do it I would rather lengthen the neck pocket than fill the trem route, and reroute it. Again, it depends on certain things, but I figured I'd mention it and see what you think. I hope you can figure it out without too much serious problems. Let me know what you think, best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

AT first I assumed bolt on and realized it probably wasn't hence the question. However, seeing as you haven't glued it in yet, you may still have some options, though I am unsure exactly. My initial though when I was thinking bolt on was to cut the neck pocket 1/2 inch longer. You could just realign the template, but move it down a half inch, so the bottom of the neck pocket get routed 1/2 inch more, this will in turn move your nut 1/2 closer to the floyd and give you the room for proper intonation/saddle adjustment. Its just a thought though, I'd assume you could take a 1/2 inch off the heel as well, either way I'd imagine it would solve the problem. Depending on where you are at and what you have done, this seems as though it would work, but I cannot be certain unless I had it in front of me, especially since I'm in the middle of my finals and my brain hurts. A 1/2 inch isn't too drastic to change, but I would wait and see if there are better ideas, personally, if I could do it I would rather lengthen the neck pocket than fill the trem route, fill it, and reroute it. Again, it depends on certain things, but I figured I'd mention it and see what you think. I hope you can figure it out without too much serious problems. Let me know what you think, best of luck. J

cant lengthen neck pocket. neck pickup is already routed, and there is no enough room. that is why i was sayin i would have no overhang past the 22nd fret, and the 22nd fret would be flush with the mounting ring.

So , If I'm reading this right, you are 1/2" to long? If so then check if a 25.5 scale will work within the + or - tolerance for your application. It would be much easier to change the fretboard than fill and reroute the body. But you will have a 20 maybe 21 fret board. If I didn't read it correctly, then disregard my suggestion :D

Ah, told you my brain was fried, I just read that right before posting and it didn't even click. Is this going to be natural finish or paint? I went back and looked at your latest build which says some santos mahogany, which can be finished beautifully either way, so I was curious. If you have no other options and you must move one of the routes, could you move the neck pickup down a bit? I'm just curious because if you find no options, it would be much nicer to move the pickup route instead of the trem route, ya know. If it is painted you could hide the whole movement, plus the neck pickup ring and the end of the fretboard will cover much of the fill, if you had to do this, which hopefully you won't.

So, in other words, I have no advice or ideas, sorry! I guess you went through all the ideas I had, already. My only final suggestion would be to wait and build another mahogany body for this neck and then use that body for another neck. I know this may not be possible, but at least with another body you avoid having to do any nasty fills. Best of luck and I hope you find some solution to the problem. There are a lot of smart luthiers here, hopefully someone can come up with something. J