Ibanez Style Jack Installation

Anyone know how to do the Ibanez style jack input like on this guitar th_ibanez.jpg ? It's like a strat plate, without the plate.

I know I've seen it somewhere, but can't find it in the search function.

Diagrams of how it's installed would be great.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by brian d

Anyone know how to do the Ibanez style jack input like on this guitar th_ibanez.jpg ? Regards,

Brian.

Howdy Brian.

Drill press is the go . clamp your guitar body to the drill press table and set it to the angle required for your hole.

(sounds easy when you say it quickly)

I'd tend to use a long shanked forstner bit with this one, although experimentation with a spade bit is worth trying too.

cheers, Stu

When thinking about what I would use, I thought first of a forstner bit like Oz said. I'd be slightly worried of some kind of deflection with the spade bit. Given the angle on the end of the bit and the angle you need the body, its seems possible to get an uneven hole. Like oz said I would try it out on some scrap and figure out the angle you want and make sure the spade bit doesn't get deflected at all. Let us know how it comes out. Best of luck. J

I would use a hole saw to just start the hole so you didn't get any chip out, and then go with either a spade bit or a forstner bit. The forstner bit would give you a better more controlled depth of cut. I'd try different ways on scrap first.

On my S470, I've always wondered how they made that hole, they probably have some type of jig for it, but it makes a very clean looking jack.

S470IbanezGutar.jpg

Edited by J_48_Johnson

Thanks to all for the advice.

I'm still deciding whether to do this or just use a strat plate - I would prefer this, but I need to get my head around it first. After drilling out the hole on the drill press, how do you mount the jack? Do you need any re-inforcement on the wood? How do you get a spanner into hole to screw the jack in?

Thanks,

Brian.

Tack glue (bit of wood glue) a scrap piece in the right spot so you can start drilling into a flat surface. You can just chisel it off afterwards (whatever's left of it, anyway).

Also, a forstner bit will leave a very clean hole, even without the scrap, as long as you can clamp the body probably. You can even drill headstock tuner holes straight through finish without chipping with a good sharp bit and a clamped headstock. Forget tryint the same with spade bits is all I'll say.

Drill a pilot hole (1/8") first, whatever else you do.

Edited by Mattia

I would use a hole saw to just start the hole so you didn't get any chip out, and then go with either a spade bit or a forstner bit. The forstner bit would give you a better more controlled depth of cut. I'd try different ways on scrap first.

On my S470, I've always wondered how they made that hole, they probably have some type of jig for it, but it makes a very clean looking jack.

IF ibanez is cutting their guitars on a CNC (which Im sure they are) I'd use a cove/ball mill bit and program it in that way. Would be alot easier, then just come back and drill the actual output jack hole.

You could make a template for a plunge router to do the same thing by hand possibly. Drilling into the wood on an angle like that scares me.

Edited by DougK

IF ibanez is cutting their guitars on a CNC (which Im sure they are) I'd use a cove/ball mill bit and program it in that way. Would be alot easier, then just come back and drill the actual output jack hole.

You could make a template for a plunge router to do the same thing by hand possibly. Drilling into the wood on an angle like that scares me.

Drilling into wood at that angle scares me too! That's why I suggested to use a hole saw. The center drill bit wouldn't let the saw wonder, and when you have the hole cut 360 degrees, use a forstner or spade bit to finish it up and to give you a flat bottom. The hole saw would give you a smooth cut w/o chip-out, and then the drill bit would finish the cut and leave you with a flat bottom for the jack to sit on.

Like above, all you need is a forstner. Throw away all the spade bits you have... well not really, but the forstner is a better choice. There are a few ways to do this, if you have a drill press, then you have it made, if not you can make a template (same like you do to rout a body or cavity) and drill in it at the angly you want, then just clamp it to the top of the body and use it to hold the bit while you start the hole. The hole saw idea sound good, buit not for the reason of not preventing chips, with a forstener there will be no chips (the spade sucks unless it is super sharp). But you will have to find one that is the same diameter as your forstner or the hole will have a step to it!

Anyway it is a simple job as long as you take the time and precautions to do it!

Edited by Maiden69

i drill my Ibanez S-style jack holes, like this one, with a Forstner bit.

S7mhg-done-body2.jpg

i use a 7/8" bit and a drill press. the angle of the hole relative to the face of the guitar is 60 degrees, so i use a protractor to set my drill press table to that angle (the angle numbers on my drill press don't go past 45 degrees). i have templates that i made from an Ibanez S-series guitar that give me the right location for the hole and the angle from the centerline (as you can see, it's not parallel to the centerline). it takes a lot of clamping and adjusting to get the body in exactly the right place. i drill slow and use as new/sharp a Forstner bit as i've got, and i've never had any problems with the hole wandering or with chip-out.

once i get the 7/8" hole fully into the surface of the body, then before i unclamp the body i swap the forster bit for a brad-point 1/2" bit and drill the inner hole that actually holds the jack. (those guitars use a long, narrow 1/2" jack that can mount through a hole as long as 1" or so.) that hole goes all the way into the control cavity. once i'm sure it's all drilled right, then i unclamp the body from the drill press table.

as a final touch, i drill and cut a scrap of the body wood at a 30 degree angle and glue it to the inside wall of the control cavity to give the lock washer & nut for the jack a non-angled surface to press against.