My First Acoustic

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i broke the 12th blade on my last bird. That sucks. Now I'm going to have to wait to finish this up. Ill probably buy 3 packs of fine blades and a pack of medium blades.

I buy blades by the gross. What size are you using? Normally I use 3/0 or 5/0. Most have rounded backs to make turning easier, but you should make sure that is the type you are using. Really as Mattia mentioned, a lot of it is in the wrist. As you get more used to cutting your blades will last a bit longer. Be sure you are in a comfortable position when sawing.

Peace,Rich

Hey rich,

I have the stewmac frame, I just ordered 4 dozen more blades and one of their dremel bases. i ordered 2 dozen fine 2 dozen medium. Inlaying seems like its going to be an enjoyable activity.

I used a coping saw to cut out my first inlay :D after i used the jewelers saw I'm amazed i got by with the coping saw even for the small inlay that i did.

Edited by carousel182

Heh..

As a note: my local mom and pop hardware store sells blades that fit the StewMac jeweller's saw. They're basic metal cutting blades for fretsaws (UK term, anyway, not sure if that's the same in the US of A). Jewellers supplier also sell them for a little less than StewMac at bulk prices.

Heh..

As a note: my local mom and pop hardware store sells blades that fit the StewMac jeweller's saw. They're basic metal cutting blades for fretsaws (UK term, anyway, not sure if that's the same in the US of A). Jewellers supplier also sell them for a little less than StewMac at bulk prices.

I have a rock hound shop that sells blades, frames, gravers, and all sorts of inlay supplies. Chris V. turned me onto Widget supply, and they sell various small tools(dremel bits, blades and such). Their blades are not as good as the rock hound shop, but they are cheap and do the job. It is really worth it to get a frame that suits you well(balance, handle and such). Price is not very high on any of them, but a good fit is worth looking for. A work surface that suits you is also worth working out, you will certainly make your own as there isn't much to them, but a good fit is a must. Dust collection and good lighting is important. I really found the elevation of my chair vs the work surface is very important also. When everything is dialed in cutting is really a lot of fun. I can't take much more than 6-7 hours at a sitting, but fun none the less.

Peace,Rich

BTW; Mattia that inlay you posted a pic of looked amazing. Great work! Always top notch my friend :D

Hey guys, I've finished cutting out my inlays, I used these scroll saw blades that i had laying around, they fir perfectly in my jewelers saw, the problem was though, that they dulled very quickly for some reason. The stewmac saw seems really comfortable to me, I just use a v wedge clamped to my workbench (Well its a workbench when all of my woods, bodies, necks, parts, tools, etc arent scattered on it.) I used to cut alot of stuff out with the scroll saw, so this come pretty naturally, I love working with small saws. Ill post pics of my work space, the inlays i cut out, etc. up in a few minutss when I can find my camera.

Edited by carousel182

my birds (copied off of PRS)

DSCN0139.jpg

my first attempt at inlaying something(cut out with coping saw)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0142.jpg

huge coping saw blade compared to the tiny jewelers saw blade

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0143.jpg

the wedge

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0140.jpg

my sides in the mold (finally something on my acoustic lol)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0144.jpg

my bird pattern

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0138.jpg

Edited by carousel182

Well, i broke the 12th blade on my last bird. That sucks. Now I'm going to have to wait to finish this up. Ill probably buy 3 packs of fine blades and a pack of medium blades.

I buy blades by the gross. What size are you using? Normally I use 3/0 or 5/0. Most have rounded backs to make turning easier, but you should make sure that is the type you are using. Really as Mattia mentioned, a lot of it is in the wrist. As you get more used to cutting your blades will last a bit longer. Be sure you are in a comfortable position when sawing.

Peace,Rich

Have any of you ever considered scroll saw round blades? They cut in any direction, not sure if you can mount them in a jewelers saw, but you might be able to. Or use a scroll saw?

Im not doing inlay, maybe torquois in epoxy though.

Peace,Rich

Have any of you ever considered scroll saw round blades? They cut in any direction, not sure if you can mount them in a jewelers saw, but you might be able to. Or use a scroll saw?

Im not doing inlay, maybe torquois in epoxy though.

I have looked at round blades, diamond if memory serves. They may be good, and maybe I will try them out one of these days(generally round blades won't turn faster or tighter, because they are larger blades). Honestly the jewlers blades I use get the job done plenty fast for me. I wouldn't mess with a scroll saw, I need to slow things down to keep my control and accuracy(I could actually blaze through material faster with jewlers saws, but choose not to). If I am worried about speed I will outsource it (not really something I am interested in, although I would consider it for a logo if I wanted 25 or more of them).

Peace,Rich

I put a JS on one of my electric necks because all the others are bare lol. I gotta come up with something good one of these days when I'm bored. I hate when stewmac ships with usps its terrible. I'm still waiting for my base to inlay the pearl into this acoustic fretboard that i just made yesterday (25.5" scale 20 frets)

DSCN0145.jpg

Edited by carousel182

I took no pictures and have since destroyed the jig and made it into templates and stuff. The fixture was basically the same as Mattias I believe. And I believe there is a picture of that in here.

Oh yea

DSCN0154.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0151.jpg

its not really sanded at all, thats going to be this guitars fingerboard.

could someone post the link to mattia's jig? i cant seem to locate it considering he has 146 pages of posts :D

You're allowed to PM me, y'know :D

Are you talking about the radius dish making jig? I only have one decent pic:

dishes_03.jpg

Basic explanation: the rails the router run on are radiused to the appropriate arch (Google 'long compass' or similar for a way to draw it, or there's a spreadsheet/PDF file with measurements to mark out common radii in the MIMF.com library), doublestick taped in place. The dish has a hole in the center and spins around on a bolt in a scrap of wood that's clamped in the workmate. Basically: route the arch, twist dish, route a bit more, twist dish, etc. etc. etc. until the job's done.

• 2 months later...