Sg Junior Wood Choices

What's wrong with all (african) mahogany? It's not like its that expensive...

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with it. But this project keeps getting put off as I have to do it with someone else, and he already has a piece of poplar that is the perfect size for a blank, so we just want to get the show on the road and do it, unless there is something wrong with that combination. Is there?

Thanks to you all. I'm finishing it in a solid color, so grain color is not an issue either. I'm probably going to finish it in baby blue, with a pearloid pickguard, but I'm somewhat debating a very very pale pink color instead of the blue. Any ideas? And I still have to ask, it wouldn't be off-balance at all would it?

The SG I had was made with a fairly light wood, and the thing ended being a bit neck heavy just from the tuners - if my impression is correct and the poplar is lighter than the mahogany, this may be exasperated - of course, mine also had the upper strap button on the body just past the heel - moving this up more (perhaps the tip, or backside of the horn) might make this a non-issue. Lighter tuners might help too - we put some grovers on this thing that just made it worse, but two of the original vintage-style tuners got damaged and wouldn't hold tune at all.