Help! My Nut Is Too Low!

i accidentaly sanded too much and now my locking nut is too low. the bottom of the grooves (where the strings are) are flush with the fretboard. my guitar has medium frets.. i understand that putting a nut shim will correct this error.. but i'd like to know how many nut shims i should put.. and considering obtaining a nut shim is very difficult for me, what 'last resorts' can i turn to?

Really need help asap.. thx in advenced..

make a nut shim of the correct height using wood veneer

+1 or anything that is hard and has an even thickness, not something like cardboard because the ammount you may have to use considering the hieght of your nut will have to be at leas 1-2mm, and the compression off the treble strings will compress it on the one side. Me thinks

I believe people are angling around the solidity and precise nature of the nut as it is after all, a fulcrum point on the instrument. You would be shimming it underneath a locking nut, which I presume is anchored to the headstock from the back using two allen bolts? If so, plastic won't harm your tone appreciably (by sane, normal standards) as long as the nut is straight and secure. You'll be coupling the nut back to the neck with pressure as opposed to it "sitting on a deck of cards".

Shim away my friend.

It may very well be a top mounted nut,since most manufacturers aside from Ibanez use the top mounted(back mounting weakens the neck considerably under the nut)

In the end though,that matters not a bit when shimming.Just FYI...most locking nuts are supplied with metal shims(or at least in my experience)just for that purpose.It is not an unusual problem.

• 2 weeks later...
i read somewhere about using a buisness card and folding it to the corect thickness.. will that work> are there any negative effects?

Hey, what's up?- first post here... using something like a business card in the nut is going to kill all your sustain.