Shop Stools

Rick500

Hmm... I hadn't thought about looking for armless office chairs. If I could find one tall enough, I'm sure that would be more comfortable than the stools marketed as "shop stools."

Did find a couple on eBay for around $30 shipped though. Might go that route.

Edit:

Ended up buying Rockler's. I liked its sort of pedestal design better than the others I found...the footrest is usable all the way around, rather than having four legs interrupting it. And I found a free shipping promo code, so it was just under $50. :D

Edited by Rick500

Why not build your own? I found this design and built this one out of some hard maple I had left over in the shop. It is great for playing guitar and I liked it so much I built two more out of left over cedar. Mortise and tenon joinery, rock solid, and a lot cheaper than buying one.

stool.jpg

I know that Rockler has swivel hardware that would help you build a more traditional swivel stool.

Gil

I went with Rockler's since I just built a pretty massive workbench and have too much other stuff in the build queue as it is. :D

Carl -- It looks cushy but it actually only has about a quarter inch of padding. It feels about like I expected it to. Not too bad but not a comfy chair or anything.

Hmm, maybe I'll buy the Rockler swivel chair, then buy a recliner and install a swivel on the recliner and mount it to the legs of the Rockler swivel chair. Thats about what I want in a chair, lol. I was actually considering the rockler seat, but honestly I need more than your average padding, plus I actually need to have a back rest due to some health issues. I know I have seen such things, usually under ths title of barstool, if I find any I'll post and please anyone else who finds one post it.

Please because I can't get by with my mini luthiers chair anymore :D

IM000342.jpg

Edited by jmrentis

I bought an open back stool from Harbor freight for about $15. The frame was fine but the wood seat and padding are garbage. The wood is so thin it is hard to get a screw to stay seated (I guess a pun). I have seen some better padded seats but the price goes up considerably when you look for a quality seat, adding a back adds even more expense.

The folding chair (jason) is way to low to work at any tool or bench I own. Other than drinking beer and watch someone else work I don't see the possibilities. But it sounds like a plan.

The problem with chairs for shops is normal seating is either too high or too low. I have even used a small step ladder at one point. Not very comfortable but it was the right height (3 rungs). I am not sure why a swivel is important as most of your work will be facing a bench or tool.

At some point I will make a new seat for the HF Frame with a better pad. HF does have a thick padded model which is worth looking at. Some of the better seats I see are $200 plus.

HF Stool $25

Thanks for the input, I'll have to look at the HF ones and see if I could add on to it, but sounds dicey. LOL, did you like my little chair? I actually keep that around for certain jobs like when I want to route outside and will work on a lower surface, which is rare. Thats actually my fishing chair and those little things at the bottom hold your poles while you chill back on a beer. I can't barely fish anymore, so I've turned it into my offical luthier chair, jk lol, I took that photo as a mockup because I though it would be funny, but I forgot to ever post it. Instead of fishing poles it now holds your titebond, calipers, and sqaures comfortably, hahaha. It would be nice to have a chair that could be put away though. I will definitely look at the HF stuff and check around more, I'm sure I'll find something perfectly useable, heck at this point anything would be nice, though if I expect to sit a while I definitely need something with decent padding and as Soap mentioned, something that can hold its own against the likes of me. Thanks guys. J

• 8 months later...