Rg550 Needs Stripped, What Method?

I've got a RG550 body that I bought off ebay a few years ago, the reason i want to strip it is that the red factory paint is chipped down to the wood. After researching I was pretty sure I wanted to chemical strip it till i did search and stumbled upon someone saying not to chemical strip if it was a factory paint job and to first research based on model. :D any suggestions for stripping a RG550? Thanks

I've found that the easiest way to strip a guitar is with sandpaper. With 50 grit and a sanding block it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes or so. You're not trying to take it all the way down to the wood though, just to the sealer --you'll know when you get there, because that stuff is very difficult to get off. The sealer will give you an excellent base for your refinish.

If it's a polyester finish, the chemicals will get you nowhere.

Make sure you wear a respirator or at least a dust mask when you're sanding.

I used Strip-Ease on a poly hard coat a while back and then used a razor blade to scrape the hard coat off. It took me several days to complete the task but the body was an odd shape and using a sanding block really didn’t suit the job.

However, on a flat faced Ibanez body you should be good with a sanding block or even an orbital palm sander (my choice of hardware) You just have to have a feel for your equipment. I use the electric sander for the bulk of the stripping and then take it down to the final sanding with a block and hand.

I've got a RG550 body that I bought off ebay a few years ago, the reason i want to strip it is that the red factory paint is chipped down to the wood. After researching I was pretty sure I wanted to chemical strip it till i did search and stumbled upon someone saying not to chemical strip if it was a factory paint job and to first research based on model. :D any suggestions for stripping a RG550? Thanks

I have the same exact problem, I bought a red/pinkish rg550 and the factory paint is quite chipped, I want to repaint the whole thing, but I am very scared about messing the guitar up. I have a bass that I am using to practice the whole process, but I ended up having to use 36 grit sandpaper just to get the paint off, and I kinda hurt the wood in some places. Chemical stripper didn't touch the paint at all...

I dunno the right answer to this... but I can say that it was absolutely hellish to use sandpaper when I stripped my Mexican Strat. I would only wish that upon my worst enemy.