I Used Search, Read Up, And Now Need A Final Opinion

Carl762

Carl,

I think your making a prudent choice. As I mentioned I love my sander.....but......I do a lot of other woodworking and the planer is invaluable in my shop. For instance if I'm making Adirondack chairs and have to mill many slats to thickness I would go bonkers if I had to do it with my Performax. It would take me waaaaaay too long. But as mentioned, for guitar building I, like the others, would strongly recommend a wide belt or drum sander. It will propel your work immeasurably. Enjoy your planer.

Gil

PS As long as your set on a planer the only thing I'd suggest is spending a bit more and going to a 220v 15". Just my .02.

Edited by Berserker

Thanks Berserker. And, thanks all.

Tonight's going to be the perfect night (stormy, raining hard) to read all the drum sander recommendations and read some reviews and get pricing and supplier info.

Hope to get the planer ordered through Home Depot this week. Hope they'll do it. If not, more delay in finding a supplier or just ordering it online.

Well, hit Home Depot yesterday and bought the only Ridgid R4330 they had. Wasn't listed on their websites anywhere, they had no planers on display. I was getting ready to leave, then asked a grumpy looking employee who promptly walked me over to the box and loaded it into my cart for me, with a smile. :D I thanked him profusely. Bought it home and unpacked it and did the once over of the manual. The construction of the thing is top notch and the handles make it very convenient to move. I'm going to initially try mounting it on a very steady portable work stand

Today, just finished making coffee and heading out to the shop to fully assemble it. Need to get a universal hose adapter for dust collection and this afternoon, I'll be planing my first boards, including a test guitar body blank for an overall practice run using planer, bandsaw, spokeshaves and ohter hand tools, then the router.

Thanks Rick, and all, for the recommendation. Thanks ODOR for the 18.6% tax kicker check I received yesterday. It covered my planer and left me with a few hundred extra to, of course, buy more tools.

Next, the sander. This week, it's bonus time, and they've worked us to death this year. :D

Well, hit Home Depot yesterday and bought the only Ridgid R4330 they had. Wasn't listed on their websites anywhere, they had no planers on display. I was getting ready to leave, then asked a grumpy looking employee who promptly walked me over to the box and loaded it into my cart for me, with a smile. :D I thanked him profusely. Bought it home and unpacked it and did the once over of the manual. The construction of the thing is top notch and the handles make it very convenient to move. I'm going to initially try mounting it on a very steady portable work stand

Today, just finished making coffee and heading out to the shop to fully assemble it. Need to get a universal hose adapter for dust collection and this afternoon, I'll be planing my first boards, including a test guitar body blank for an overall practice run using planer, bandsaw, spokeshaves and ohter hand tools, then the router.

Thanks Rick, and all, for the recommendation. Thanks ODOR for the 18.6% tax kicker check I received yesterday. It covered my planer and left me with a few hundred extra to, of course, buy more tools.

Next, the sander. This week, it's bonus time, and they've worked us to death this year. B)

Good for you Carl! Darci and I got our ODOR kicker yesterday(well I signed it and Darci took it away yesterday :D ). Nice of the state to give us back a little bit of our money. Plus the poor FED gets a little bonus also as they tax the kicker.

Peace,Rich

Yes, yesterday was THE DAY!. Saw lots of happy, spending, spending, spending, faces. The line at the ATM was awesome. Every car in town was on the road.

Probably be the same today. Heading out to get that dust collection adapter for my shopvac. Only trip I'm going to take today. Then, it's time to make some sawdust.

I hope Darci bought you something nice. LOL

Well, I'm happy to report that the planer is excellent. It's very easy to use, adjust, and clean. Very well thought out design, and its built to last. Following the owners manual's advice, I purchased some paste wax to keep the planing table slick and some Tar and Pitch type remover for pitch build-up on the blades. I'm,going to take very good care of this machine.

The Ridgid R4330 is a very valuable addition to my little workshop.

• 3 weeks later...

Madhattr, I've now used this planer for a couple weeks now and it's like a nice old friend. I strongly recommend the Ridgid R4330. I was going to splurge and get the Dewalt, but I saved $150 by going with Ridgid, and used the extra money to buy a 6x4 sander and metal detecting wand.

The planer's first project:

IMG_1651.jpg

This is a test/practice run guitar body. It'll end up being a decoration, or art work. :D

Madhattr, I've now used this planer for a couple weeks now and it's like a nice old friend. I strongly recommend the Ridgid R4330. I was going to splurge and get the Dewalt, but I saved $150 by going with Ridgid, and used the extra money to buy a 6x4 sander and metal detecting wand.

The planer's first project:

IMG_1651.jpg

This is a test/practice run guitar body. It'll end up being a decoration, or art work. :D

thanks, so how much?

I was looking on Amazon yesterday and saw the higher end Dewalt Planer (Don't remember the model number) in the reconditioned section for several hundred less than the standard retail price. This was one of the two portable planers recommended by FWW.

I was looking on Amazon yesterday and saw the higher end Dewalt Planer (Don't remember the model number) in the reconditioned section for several hundred less than the standard retail price. This was one of the two portable planers recommended by FWW.

Model 735? Keep forgetting to associate Amazon.com with tools. Must take a look.