Ever Seen A Bridge Like This?

Heh... This reminds me of a junker I fixed up for my brother years ago. I wish I had a picture. I never did figure out who the manufacturer was. Anyhow - it was a 19 fretter with a plastic nut (which had cracked in half - go figure :D ), and a wood bridge with some kind of stop tail piece (I think that's what they're called) rigged with springs for a tremolo. The bridge was chipped right where the B sat, so the string would slip out of place when you played it. I almost replaced it with a tune-o-matic. But after showing it to my father (a veteran cabinet maker), he said he could make a new one. I didn't believe him, but figured I'd let the old fart take a crack at it. A week later he brought me the new one. Cut by hand from a scrap of Babinga (<---I'm sure I butchered the spelling there - saw a bass made of this stuff once - super dense wood!). Perfect from top to bottom! Obviously I was worried about the intonation, but the old man nailed it. It really brightened up the tone too! I wanted to get rid of the tail piece too and get some ferrules for a string-through set-up. But my brother liked it the way it was. He put a set of acoustic strings on it and hung it on the wall in his office to collect dust.

Anyway... I'll never get over how that bridge came out. I'm pretty sure I witnessed a miracle!

~Maxx

A week later he brought me the new one. Cut by hand from a scrap of Babinga (<---I'm sure I butchered the spelling there - saw a bass made of this stuff once - super dense wood!). Perfect from top to bottom!

bubinga??? a great wood but sometimes too bright and sometimes too hard to work nicely