Just Had The Hight Of My Building Carrer

i have one of my guitars listed on ebay, and i have had many interested people. but just a while a go a guy from a custom shop in kentucky saw my guitar, and wanted to know about my building. he started asking me questions, and then asked if i would be interested in a 5 guitar deal. just unfinished guitars, no parts or finish on them. then i said i was interested, and told him i thought he should know that i was only 18, and then i got no reply. so i think we all know why. even just hearing that was the most interesting part of my building carrer. it was just a great feeling, even though i figured he would be turned off upon hearing my age. sorry, just had to tell somone.

Cool.

Hey, was this place in Louisville? Thinking I might know the place you are talking about.

Is the guy shopping for some contract work? :D

Sorry to hear that you might be turned down, man, especially considering the quality and speed of your work. It definitely bodes well for the future, though, if it's a projected path.

Something to think about when you "come of age" ( :D )at guitar building.

Cool.

Hey, was this place in Louisville? Thinking I might know the place you are talking about.

Is the guy shopping for some contract work? :D

Sorry to hear that you might be turned down, man, especially considering the quality and speed of your work. It definitely bodes well for the future, though, if it's a projected path.

Something to think about when you "come of age" ( :D )at guitar building.

ya, im pretty sure he wont be responding. it would have been cool. thanks a lot!

Well, take a look at your signature line in your post. :D

Edit: Of course, be sure to check things out as thoroughly as possible first (after all, you're only familiar with him from eBay), and be sure you can deliver what you agree to in the timeframe you agree to. A few weeks goes by very quickly.

Edited by Rick500

Ok, i my line of business. selling guitar parts to retail stores and guitars. People like to have 20 days credit before they pay for the goods. Problem is they never pay on the 20 days and it some times takes 60 days to get paid...

ok, gotcha. will do. and rick, i will, he gave me his phone #, and i will get every bit of info from him that i can.

That is great news to hear. I am not sure what standard business dealings are, but I would definitely try for some money up front and the rest upon receipt. Definitely enough up front to pay for materials. That way if you do end up getting shafted in the end, at least you only lost out on your time and not the money for materials.

Something else to think about: warranty work.

I would figure out what I'm willing to do and spell it all out up front.

I'd probably want the guy to inspect everything thoroughly upon receipt, have him sign off on within a few days, and from that point, warranty work becomes his responsibility. Of course, if something is wrong upon receipt, he doesn't sign off, and you fix it.

Just something to think about.

This is good news< but I bet your as nervous as hell. :D .

The thing to remember is that HE Picked YOU so he must think your work is of a good standard. Have confidence in your abilities, and as one of the guys mentioned get him to pay for at least the materials up front, so if it does go pear shaped, you still have something from it.

to my surprize, he actually got back to me! he is still interested. he wants to make some deals with one guitar every few weeks. sounds good to me, but i am very very nervous about it. i never see myself as good enough for things like this.

After you told him your age, I'm surprised he got back with you too.

We're our own worst critics. We're all really hard on ourselves because we easily see what we did wrong. It stands out like a zit on the end of your nose when we look at it. In reality, it's not so bad. BUT... that self criticizim pushes us to better things.

I concur with jaycee: remember that HE came looking for YOU. Get plenty of advice from anyone you can on how NOT to be raked over the coals. When it comes to making the product don't be lazy. The work you do is a representation of YOU. You put out this work and say "This is me, this is what I am, what I love, what I do." Work with integrity, and don't cut corners.

Good luck.

If you find mahogany blanks for $20, let me know where they are! :D

The one I'm working with now was over $90. I've gotten them for $60, but not much less than that.

i can get a large board of mahogany long enough for like 3 guitars at 2 pieces each for about 70 bucks. but its hard to find a quality piece

EDIT: well, enough for maybe 2 guitars

Edited by killemall8

Maybe if you had bought in large quantities you could make that budget, but to even bother trying to make those number he would have to be asking for a whole hell of a lot more than 5 guitars. I can't help, but wonder if he threw that price at you because you are 18. Like he was thinking that any dumb excited kid would make them even if they were losing money. It used to drive me nuts when I was younger when adults would either try to manipulate or discrimintae against me because I was young. In most anything I did I was as respectful, as responsible, and as knowledgable as an adult, some of the time even surpassing some and yet they would always treat me like some punk. Damn ageists, lol. I guess while I had the chance I should have been a punk and terrorized all the older people, blaring music, peeling out, while flipping them the bird. Sometimes you really must regret missing one of those shots you never took, like being a punk-ass kid. Your quote is right on the money my friend, I miss that one!

Anyhow, just keep up your good work and at some point I'm sure you'll run across a real good opportunity. As for his money quote, depending on what he wanted in a neck, I would want close to that price for the neck alone. As I said it would depend on what woods and how complex he wanted it, but like you I found that price way low. Best of luck and keep up the killer rigs!