Just Had The Hight Of My Building Carrer

Maybe if you had bought in large quantities you could make that budget, but to even bother trying to make those number he would have to be asking for a whole hell of a lot more than 5 guitars. I can't help, but wonder if he threw that price at you because you are 18. Like he was thinking that any dumb excited kid would make them even if they were losing money. It used to drive me nuts when I was younger when adults would either try to manipulate or discrimintae against me because I was young. In most anything I did I was as respectful, as responsible, and as knowledgable as an adult, some of the time even surpassing some and yet they would always treat me like some punk. Damn ageists, lol. I guess while I had the chance I should have been a punk and terrorized all the older people, blaring music, peeling out, while flipping them the bird. Sometimes you really must regret missing one of those shots you never took, like being a punk-ass kid. Your quote is right on the money my friend, I miss that one!

Anyhow, just keep up your good work and at some point I'm sure you'll run across a real good opportunity. As for his money quote, depending on what he wanted in a neck, I would want close to that price for the neck alone. As I said it would depend on what woods and how complex he wanted it, but like you I found that price way low. Best of luck and keep up the killer rigs!

thanks a lot jason. i know exactly what you mean. i get discriminated against all the time for being my age. but some people cant tell becuase i have a huge beard. but yeah, sometimes when people treat you like that even if you are a nice responsible person makes you want to stop being good, because if they cant tell you are, then whats the point of trying? but i still try to hang in there. thanks

I suspect the potential 'client' was largely a timewaster. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but if you start making guitars, and showing them around a lot, get used to people saying they really want one, then dissappearing as soon as the price is mentioned.

There are a lot of people who are under the mistaken impression that handmade instruments can be priced to compete with far-eastern imports, and it sounds like your client was one of these folks.

BTW, I just was going through Stewmacs pages and they now sell mahogany body blanks, guess the price???

$109.84 each, lol.

Neck mahogany blank runs $55.76

Indian Rosewood fingerboard blank-$11.78 plus wire$5.22 x 3= $15.66 plus some pearl inlay dots for about $6.20 and say $4.13 for a bone nut "unshaped" to save the 5 bucks over a shaped one, geez! Oh yeah, truss rod, duh say another $15.

so $218.37 for just the supplies from Stewmac for an unfinished guitar with no parts, haha, wheew thats pricey huh. Thats why I try to buy as much as I can at normal stores or friends around here and only buy specialized stuff from them. Anyhow, I thought that was funny, how much it'd cost through SM. Whats crazy if think about if you got half off of everything, you'd still be looking at $109.19 which would give you next to no profit, especially considering time and tools use and thats if you found everything at half or better of stewmacs price. It is perfectly possible to find prices much less than half of Stewmacs prices, especially if you buy in bulk, but regardless considering time and tool wear and tear, I don't think you'll ever make his offer a profitable one. J

BTW- Do you have any plans on upcoming builds you'll be starting, as always I'm looking forward to seeing your work and hopefully I'll be able to share mine with you soon, its coming together slowly. I actually put the neck on finally (bolt on) and it looked like a guitar almost for the first time, lol. Best of luck.J

I suspect the potential 'client' was largely a timewaster. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but if you start making guitars, and showing them around a lot, get used to people saying they really want one, then dissappearing as soon as the price is mentioned.

There are a lot of people who are under the mistaken impression that handmade instruments can be priced to compete with far-eastern imports, and it sounds like your client was one of these folks.

thats what i figured to begin with. i never really got excited, i was just more surprized. i am kind of used to it(nothing compared t you and your quality of work) from kids at school always saying " oh thats awesome! make me one, i will pay you more than what you are selling them for" and things like that. but i never mentioned price, he is the one who first suggested price, and assumed because i had one of my guitar body and necks for sale as a project for 175.00, i guess he assumed that was proper. you never know anymore

BTW, I just was going through Stewmacs pages and they now sell mahogany body blanks, guess the price???

$109.84 each, lol.

Neck mahogany blank runs $55.76

Indian Rosewood fingerboard blank-$11.78 plus wire$5.22 x 3= $15.66 plus some pearl inlay dots for about $6.20 and say $4.13 for a bone nut "unshaped" to save the 5 bucks over a shaped one, geez! Oh yeah, truss rod, duh say another $15.

so $218.37 for just the supplies from Stewmac for an unfinished guitar with no parts, haha, wheew thats pricey huh. Thats why I try to buy as much as I can at normal stores or friends around here and only buy specialized stuff from them. Anyhow, I thought that was funny, how much it'd cost through SM. Whats crazy if think about if you got half off of everything, you'd still be looking at $109.19 which would give you next to no profit, especially considering time and tools use and thats if you found everything at half or better of stewmacs price. It is perfectly possible to find prices much less than half of Stewmacs prices, especially if you buy in bulk, but regardless considering time and tool wear and tear, I don't think you'll ever make his offer a profitable one. J

BTW- Do you have any plans on upcoming builds you'll be starting, as always I'm looking forward to seeing your work and hopefully I'll be able to share mine with you soon, its coming together slowly. I actually put the neck on finally (bolt on) and it looked like a guitar almost for the first time, lol. Best of luck.J

thats pretty funny jason. ya, i dont know how he got those prices! :D from what ive seen from your build, it looks excellent! i cant wait to see more. i dont know what my next build will be, that is the hardest part for me is deciding what body style. there isnt much i havnt made yet. i think really the only thing i havnt made is a double cut. i will post a topic of what i should build in just a little bit. thanks for always talking with me jason!

Not a problem my good man. I enjoy watching your work. Body style is a tough choice, a double cut sounds like an awesome choice if you ask me, your LP turned out really nice, I have no doubt your double cut would as well. On mine I wanted to make my own design, which had probably been done, but I spent a long time tweaking the design and even now I see some parts I would do just slightly different, though all in all I really like the design. It took a while to figure out all the specs on the design and I had to make templates for everything, which took a while. Anyhow, its getting there. Here is a pic and try and remember I haven't cleaned this thing up in a month or more, it needs a good sanding and cleaning. I'll probably start doing a small carve tomorrow or tonight and once I finished the tops final shape, I'll drill the bridge mounting posts. Getting there, very, very slowly. As I said, I'll be doing some carving tonight/tomorrow around the top, on the heel, and possible some other areas. Should look a lot better by then. Still can't decide on a color to stain it. I wanted to do blue, but with that fretboard, it would probably be too much contrast. Oh well. J

Not a problem my good man. I enjoy watching your work. Body style is a tough choice, a double cut sounds like an awesome choice if you ask me, your LP turned out really nice, I have no doubt your double cut would as well. On mine I wanted to make my own design, which had probably been done, but I spent a long time tweaking the design and even now I see some parts I would do just slightly different, though all in all I really like the design. It took a while to figure out all the specs on the design and I had to make templates for everything, which took a while. Anyhow, its getting there. Here is a pic and try and remember I haven't cleaned this thing up in a month or more, it needs a good sanding and cleaning. I'll probably start doing a small carve tomorrow or tonight and once I finished the tops final shape, I'll drill the bridge mounting posts. Getting there, very, very slowly. As I said, I'll be doing some carving tonight/tomorrow around the top, on the heel, and possible some other areas. Should look a lot better by then. Still can't decide on a color to stain it. I wanted to do blue, but with that fretboard, it would probably be too much contrast. Oh well. J

that looks great! i had no idea you were going to put a figured top on it. i looks amazing. that neck looks perfect also. your doing great. cant wait for your thread for it. thank again jason

I think the whole age thing is underestimated. A seasoned (or any type of experienced) business person, would love the chance to get supplies from a person that meets the minimum requirements of signing a contract. on a side not anyone who is under the age of 18 when signing a contract is not legaly binded to the contract.

and of coarse i'm jealous who wouldn't be. lol :D good luck and i wish you the best

well doesnt look like this will be happening after all. he wanted to pay about 125-150 per body and neck combined. that would put me under, and i would be losing money on just supplies.

yeah, its just the way it goes. lots of time wasters out there but you have to put up with them to get to the genuine people. it starts to get good when you are doing quotes that you think are high (possibly trying to weed out timewasters with a high price :D ) and people tell you that you are not charging enough. takes a bit of patience though. At first you have to see what people are willing to pay and occasionally make less (or no) profit if it gets a guitar out in the world being played and being shown around

this guy was a joker though, If he can get mahogany for $20 a body tell him you will buy it off him for $30 and then come and sell it here for $40 ... everyones a winner..... well they would be if it was true anyway :D

American Mahogany (good grade) for a body blank(ruffly 4 bd. ft) is going to run $30 min. from an importer if your buying at LEAST 25-30 blanks worth of lumber. At a higher quality level that will go up to closer to $40 per. blank. If you step down the grade and buy from a retailer, and hand select a few bits that look good you could buy it for pretty close to that price in smaller quantity(but you have to spend your time sorting through the bins, which adds to the cost). It is possible to pick up Khaya or a similar substitute for half that price, but you would need to purchase 1000 bd. ft.(200+) blanks to bring the price down that much. This wood should be seasoned for probably another year before use, and you should figure on an additional 8-10% cost for the use of your money for that time and space.

Not sure if this guy was a joker or if he is placing a value on what you would build based on what he could buy from an overseas factory. Of course he could buy and sell fully assembled finished low end guitars for $150-$200. Either way that doesn't sound like a good fit for you.

Peace,Rich