Not Sure What Happened...

hurlyz

My jack (female/guitar part) was getting loose so I tightened it up using a wrench and when I plugged it back into my amp.. The amp was buzzing louder than habitually and the guitar didn't send any signal...

I tried different amps/guitars and got to the conclusion that the probem was my jack! :D

Can someone tell me what's wrong and how to fix it?? Thanks a lot!

dsc00672yl1.jpg

dsc00671wq9.jpg

It's a stock Ibanez RG321MH B)

Note: Sorry for my cheap vocabulary and/or grammar... English is not my native language! :D

Edited by hurlyz

I have absolute zero knowledge about soldering and I'd be afraid of messing something up.. :D

Are there any 'beginner' tutorials or whatever about soldering/costumization?? I have roughly 0$ right now (until I get a job) and I live in an appartment so I can't have any huge tools like saws, etc. but I'd like to learn about that... what can I do for REALLY cheap and not too hard and that wouldn't need any huge/expensive tools?? :D

I have absolute zero knowledge about soldering and I'd be afraid of messing something up.. :D

Are there any 'beginner' tutorials or whatever about soldering/costumization?? I have roughly 0$ right now (until I get a job) and I live in an appartment so I can't have any huge tools like saws, etc. but I'd like to learn about that... what can I do for REALLY cheap and not too hard and that wouldn't need any huge/expensive tools?? :D

A solder iron can fit in your shoe. so big deal on size.

cost is a hole different factor. they range from 99 cents to 100's of dollars.

Soldering is mainly heating a coil of solder into a liquid, you put the wire into it, let it cool and it will it will stay put. that is the basics. better yet is to get the wire back into the hole, wrap it around then solder it.

it is really practice that one needs. this I consider no big deal, the worst you could do is clump the solder up so much that you ground out the A and B... just heat the solder up and remove it. I supose you could burn yourself too. but it is not like a torch. it is a heated metal pencil basically.

If you cant afford a solder iron, you can try to punch the hole back into the jack and run the wire into it. twist it around so it stays put until you can get it fixed right.

I imagine you will have issues again with this method but it can get you bye for a while, if you are careful.

I dont know what a guitar shop would charge to fix it. I would do it fo free if I had a shop... it is really no big deal.

Soldering irons are pretty cheap. If you buy one, you can fix it yourself AND you can do mods to guitars, amps, etc!

Hmmmm, I'd be just a little more careful with that statement, Geo. There's a long way from getting a soldering iron to being able to mod a guitar or an amp.

Besides, without enough knowledge modding a guitar can maybe ruin it, but modding an amp can potentially ruin your health....

Soldering irons are pretty cheap. If you buy one, you can fix it yourself AND you can do mods to guitars, amps, etc!

Hmmmm, I'd be just a little more careful with that statement, Geo. There's a long way from getting a soldering iron to being able to mod a guitar or an amp.

Besides, without enough knowledge modding a guitar can maybe ruin it, but modding an amp can potentially ruin your health....

I'd say modding the guitar is easy enough that pretty much anyone could do it without previous knowledge, íf they had the wiring diagram and took 10 seconds to figure out where the wires go...