Alder Body With Mahogany Neck?

Some Epiphone guitars have this combo, I'm guessing because alder is cheaper to get and make a guitar out of than mahog. It doesn't sound too tonally desirable to me, but I've always been partial to something more dense/stiff as a neck. Alder is a nice body wood, though.

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=...CollectionID=16

Example.

I have that exact guitar. Tonality- its pretty warm.. makes for more rounded sounding metal riffs - you know.. not so bitey...

The mahogany neck + alder combo is an okay contrast.. I wouldn't recommend this guitar (or any guitar like this) to be a crunchy gainey monster. Straight up jazz and blues, maybe a little classic rock is its what it sounds best with, IMO.

I feel Dr Cox is my kinda guy.All of the endless diatribes and ego-crushing insults delivered in a near perfect tone of sarcasm....

Oh, he's the awesomest character on the show, without a doubt, but I don't have the inner rage and self-destructive tendencies.

Well, OK, not MUCH of the inner rage. Mostly.

Oh,just to rehash a point made earlier...custom instruments on a middle class salary.

I am firmly in the middle of the middle class,and I own one handmade custom,with two others in the works,along with other "off the shelf" guitars(high end)and an extremely high end amp setup as well.It is about priorities and budgeting,more than anything.If you can't afford the customs,I suggest it may be that a nice car or a big house is more important to you than the custom guitar is.My house is 1100 square feet,and my car is a chevy cobalt(although a loaded one),Plus I own two pickups(paid for) and now a project car(65 mercury comet).

So it is not impossible.But I also have not paid $5000 for any of my guitars...more like half that.Talk to Ormsby or KXK guitars.