Veneer Top Question

If laminated on properly (ie, no air bubbles between the veneer and substrate, etc), you should not really hear a difference (at least not with the naked ear) between a solid body and the same solid body with a wood veneer (we are talking about >1/32" thick, correct?). Now veneer some rubber on the top, and that's a different story. :D

Edited by thegarehanman

If laminated on properly (ie, no air bubbles between the veneer and substrate, etc), you should not really hear a difference (at least not with the naked ear) between a solid body and the same solid body with a wood veneer (we are talking about >1/32" thick, correct?). Now veneer some rubber on the top, and that's a different story. :D

LOL, no I think we will pass on the rubber veneer....

the reason I asked this question was that I might use some veneer wood that is not a popular tonewood. of corase I don't know for sure if it is or not . some stuff I'm looking at just isn't mentioned as tone wood.

been looking at alot of quilted stuff. but I did run across some real nice Ebony veneer. might been interesting,,

Ebony top with Ebony headstock and Ebony fingerboard with maple neck and Mahogany body

I'm guessing the veneer you're looking at is striped (macassar) ebony? If so, remember to specify the same variety of ebony when ordering the headplate and fretboard, or else you may end up with a darker, more uniformly black variety that doesn't match the veneer as well.

Where are you looking for veneers? I use veneersupplies.com a lot.

peace,

russ

I'm guessing the veneer you're looking at is striped (macassar) ebony? If so, remember to specify the same variety of ebony when ordering the headplate and fretboard, or else you may end up with a darker, more uniformly black variety that doesn't match the veneer as well.

Where are you looking for veneers? I use veneersupplies.com a lot.

peace,

russ

yeah that was the type I was looking at.. good point on the match up, I will keep that in mind for sure. I don't have my heart set on it as I was looking for quilted to begin with, but I found the ebony and just got to thinking how strange that would be.