Neck Pocket Is A Hair Too Large

Geo

I routed the neck pocket. (This is a set-neck.) There's a gap maybe as thick as a piece of paper, and the neck slides out easily. It is not an exact match, as you can move the neck ever so slightly side-to-side. Any ideas how I should rectify this? My thought is to glue a piece of super-thin wood to the side of the neck tenon and then sand it away until the fit is satisfactory.

Thanks.

First try (very lightly) dampening the neck tenon and neck pocket with water. This will raise the grain in each ever so slightly. It may be just the ticket to getting the fit snug once again. Give it a day or two to dry again before you glue, just for safety's sake.

peace,

russ

Thanks Russ. I wondered about using water, but I thought it would just shrink again when dry. I'll try it.

If the water doesn't bring it back to snug, I would use the veneer method you described. I had the same problem with a set neck being just a hair too loose. I glued non-backed maple veneer to each side of the neck and sanded both sides evenly with a hardwood sanding block. The veneer was literally less than the thickness of a sheet of paper on both sides combined and worked perfectly. Just be careful you don't make it too snug, as during the glue-up the wood will swell slightly and you could end up not being able to get the neck set all the way into the pocket (have done that too :D ).

I'd like to hear how dampening it with water works like Russ suggested. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I tried Russ's suggestion, and the fit is much improved. Of course, after sticking it in and out of the pocket a few times, it isn't quite so good any more, though still better than at first. I think I'll do the process once or twice more before I glue the neck.

Dude, once it fits, glue it in. Done.

Don't final fit things until you're ready to glue them. That's a sure-fire way to get dust and fingergrease and other impurutues all over your joint surfaces.

The fingerboard isn't done.

But thanks for the info. Being dumb, I hadn't even thought of that! :D

I just had the same thing happen on a bolt on I’m building right now. I was planning on hard coating the neck so I left the appropriate amount of slop in the pocket to accommodate the finish. Next thing I know; plans change and we are going with an oil finish. Now I have a neck that’s way too sloppy for its home!

I cut a Padauk veneer and glued it onto both sides of the pocket and used a nice file and some sand paper to bring everything back into a nice fitting and aligned neck pocket! Snug as a big in a rug!

Edited by zyonsdream