Painting Neck-through Guitars

I was wondering how to paint a neck-through style guitar. I thought I would hang a thick piece of wood in my shed & then tie a piece of 30lb. fishing test line to kind of suspend it in air for a thorough spray job. However the guitar slipped & fell to the concrete HARD totally severing the neck into large pieces :D. I was able to glue the pieces back 2gether & clamp it with Gorrilla Glue for a firm hold. Now the glue is oozing out the crack but that's the least of my problems right now. I've finished a bolt-on with no problem but this is tedious.

Edited by carlosnelson

When i did it for my most recent build i put a rope through the tuner hole that was running from one place in the shop to another. but my first didn't go so hot. It fell onto the ground from about 4 feet up and completely ruined the finish on the bottom of the guitar. I considered myself lucky though, the guitar was in fine condition other then the bottom so it wasn't that big of a repair job.

Sheet rock anchor in the ceiling (or a bolt into a stud), with an eye bolt in it, with 50lb braded picture frame wire hanging from it, with a metal ring at the end that goes through a tuning key hole. The big metal ring makes sure the guitar is supported, but the support doesn't obstruct spraying. Alternatively, you can hang the guitar upside down, forget the ring, and put a screw into the strap button screw hole.

peace,

russ

I use an old clothing rack with a hole drilled in the end of the hanging arm and run a 1/4" extension thru the hole and into a tuner hole on the headstock and secure the extension with a pair of Vice Grips. 100_1147.jpg

Haven't dropped one yet!

That's a really good idea with how u hang them. I see these fixtures all the time in the trash.